It CAN be done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It CAN be done!

I finally decided to stuff the Avanti R2 engine I've been hoarding under the hood of the '53, but I didn't want to lose the AC or Power Steering (or cut any holes in the hood!). 'Had to notch the fender well and lose the mechanical fuel pump, but managed to get it done in fairly tidy fashion I think.

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1937 Dictator Streetrod
    1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
    1953 Commander Convertible
    1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
    1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
    1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Wow! What a setup...

That's for that convertible right? I guess it IS possible to perfect an already perfect car. [^][8D]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, Georgia
    '59 Scotsman PU
    '63 Daytona HT

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Real nice looking work Steve!
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by S2DSteve

I finally decided to stuff the Avanti R2 engine I've been hoarding under the hood of the '53, but I didn't want to lose the AC or Power Steering (or cut any holes in the hood!). 'Had to notch the fender well and lose the mechanical fuel pump, but managed to get it done in fairly tidy fashion I think.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm partial to your paint color choice. And I bet yours will be faster than mine. Here's why

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

SWEEEEET! And I thought that '53 just couldn't get any better!

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
          I own time machines.....

Comment

Great job Steve. That shoe-horn came in handy......

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

Paul, I'm tellin' ya - that chromed harmonic balancer's gonna add 20MPH to your top end![:0]

20"MPH" = mirror plated hysteria

Steve - that's impressive! One busy front end![]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nice job Steve! Did you have to have all of the pulleys custom made for the serpentine belt grooving? I would doubt that any "V" belt could handle all that!

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I don't know if you will be running many rpm's or not but if so, I'm thinking the supercharger belts will slip before many rpm's are reached due to the small amount of "wrap" on the pulley. It appears you could help this by running the belt on top of the idler (tension) pulley and use a turnbuckle to tighten it. I did this when I put the second supercharger on the CH and it really helped.

Ted

Steve Hudson
                  The Dalles, Oregon
                  1937 Dictator Streetrod
                  1954 Champion Coupe

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Ted. I don't expect to be running a lot of R's, but you never know. I already replaced the spring with a a turnbuckle, so it shouldn't be too difficult. What kind of tensioner roller did you use?

Steve Hudson
                    The Dalles, Oregon
                    1937 Dictator Streetrod
                    1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
                    The Dalles, Oregon

Comment

I went to Tractor Supply I think it was or maybe a large hardware store and bought a riding mower pulley with the same diameter hole to bolt it on the arm. I was using the Lark/Hawk type single wide belt so I got one with a "flat" that was wide enough for the outside of the belt to run in it. I would guess if you got a pulley wide enough for your two belts it would work without the individual grooves. The lawn mowers use a single belt similar to the belts on the Avanti pulleys so if it were flat and wide enough I don't think there would be a problem.

Ted

Thanks for the tip, Ted. I don't expect to be running a lot of R's, but you never know. I already replaced the spring with a a turnbuckle, so it shouldn't be too difficult. What kind of tensioner roller did you use?

Steve Hudson
                      The Dalles, Oregon
                      1937 Dictator Streetrod
                      1954 Champion Coupe

Comment

Dang it, Ted, that is not high tech enough!

The PC answer is billet aluminum with your own tight tolerance specification.

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
                        sigpic
                        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Is that two v-belts or a groved sepentine? If its a groved
                          serpentine you could try an LT1 belt tensioner :

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Serpentine? I wish. Has anyone even done that yet? Sounds like a project for Jeff or Dick. What I did stretched the limits of my feeble abilities. And yes, the supercharger will ultimately get the full strip and polish treatment.

Steve Hudson
                            The Dalles, Oregon
                            1937 Dictator Streetrod
                            1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
                            The Dalles, Oregon

Comment

Holy Smoke, Steve! Have you ordered new front springs yet![8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X