PDA

View Full Version : Help/advice to set up Hill Holder-50 Champion

starlightchamp
03-18-2006, 05:13 PM
The manual says to reset the Hill Holder after adjusting clutch throw. Doesn't say how!
It;s a simple adjustment with nuts to change the length of throw on shaft.
I am on the fourth series of jacking up the car, turning nut one turn, lowering ,trying out on a hill, and then repeating the dang process. Got to be a simpler way. Anyone know of one/
Many thanks from a newbie.

...Dick
1950 Champion Starlight Coupe
1963 Hawk GT

whacker
03-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Have your assistant sit in the car and press the clutch pedal. Then have them let it up. When they feel the clutch engage, have them stop and tell you they can feel it (should be about 1 inch up or so). Then, turn the adjusting nut down to just where the hill holder will disengage. Set the lock nut on the hill holder. You should be within one or two turns at that point, if you are not right on. I hope you bench bled the master cylinder with the hill holder attached, otherwise you may never get it right!

starlightchamp
03-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks,Whacker, I'll give it a try when someone can operate the clutch. Please tell
me more about the bench bleed of master cylinder. Why, necessary if only the clutch
throw has been adjusted?

55pres
03-19-2006, 06:12 PM
I think whacker said bench bleed them at the same time because he thought you replaced the master cylinder, and therefore had to adjust the hill-holder. However, since you just adjusted the clutch there is no need to bleed anything.

1955 President

Job: Student @ Penn State
Love of Studebakers?: High

starlightchamp
03-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Thank you 55 Pres.