This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker switches?

I have a 63 Cruiser and I am wondering what is the deal on the rocker switches in the dash. I have contacted some suppliers and have found some "sticker shock" and some " you just cann't find those very easy". Any ideas about what a price on these should be? They are just a switches( two kinds with the same face) for gosh sakes!

Good used are still around for $15-$20 each.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've had poor luck finding good used switches. And, there are three different ones. I believe the wiper and fan are the same, but the headlight and inst-light switches are different (part numbers) as the headlight switch has HD contacts. Since they're not marked, you're relying on the seller to be knowledgable on where they came from. After a couple of months of searching, I finally gave up and bought a matched set of NOS '66 switches (black, w/o ribs) from SI. (I couldn't find a matched set of NOS white switches at any vendor.) They were expensive, but I haven't regretted it.

MarkC

MarkC, 64 Y8
      Working in Spokane, WA

Comment

Stupid question....Would Avanti switches work?

Just trying to be helpful....

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I believe that Avanti switches would work, they are functionally the same. I don't know all the permutations of color and ribbed/non-ribbed though.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

I believe that Avanti switches would work, they are functionally the same. I don't know all the permutations of color and ribbed/non-ribbed though.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            I seem to remember that that Studebaker used these switches in Ivory both with and without ribs, and black, without ribs.

I've had them apart on several occasions, and they aren't too hard too work. You have to watch out for the gadoings. You know, when you open up the switch, and the little springs inside go ga-doing! and fly across the room. Taking them apart allows you to use the rocker of your choice with the guts of your choice.

I believe this style of switch was also used by Winnebago in some motorhomes, and maybe by some big rigs (semi-tractors). If a person could find a Winnebago with those switches, they'd be worth salvaging, given the usage patterns of RVs.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks for the replys. So the Winnabago legend is a common one!! I have also heard about a A.C. Window mounted unit using the same switches. No one seems to remember the brand though. I know a Old Cat that does R.V. restorations; I will get with him and get back to you all. Once again thanks for the input. Stan

Comment

In my years of varied electrical work, I've stumbled across a couple of different applications of these very same switches. At least made by the same maker and with the exact same rocker toggles on them. Sadly, I didn't run and write down the encounters and now I can't recall them![V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob, it was commercial clothes dryers and copying machines! I also didn't get the manufacturers of the machines name! They are made by exactly the same Co. and identical to Stude's.

Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

In my years of varied electrical work, I've stumbled across a couple of different applications of these very same switches. At least made by the same maker and with the exact same rocker toggles on them. Sadly, I didn't run and write down the encounters and now I can't recall them![V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  StudeRich
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had a box of used parts handed to me last night. In the box was a couple of these white rocker switches. Muppet, you wanna pay postage, they're yours.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Done. Let's trade info. studestan@yahoo.com Thanks!

Comment

quote:
                        I believe this style of switch was also used by Winnebago in some motorhomes, and maybe by some big rigs (semi-tractors). If a person could find a Winnebago with those switches, they'd be worth salvaging, given the usage patterns of RVs.
                        A long time ago I saw a whole bin of these switches at one of the local electrical shops. They were labelled as being for Winnebagos, but looked identical to the ones in my Studebaker. I remember it because I was really surprised to see them and picked one up to look it over closely. Unfortunately, I did not buy any because I had lots of spare used Studebaker switches at the time and little money. Now, I could use them. I also did not write down the identifying numbers on them. This doesn't help any, I know, but I had to write in to say that Gord is correct, at one time Winnebago used rocker switches that were the same or nearly the same as those used by Studebaker. Dale

Comment

Working...
                        X