This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude friends in Australia

A number of years ago(1994), I had the good fortune of snagging a business trip to Australia. I visited Perth, Melbourne ,and Sydney.

While in Melbourne, I had a free weekend and noticed in the local paper an ad for a swap meet, so I hopped a bus in front of my hotel and set out. I found the swap meet, saw a lot of old parts for American cars, but nothing from Studebaker.

As I was leaving the warehouse swap site, I approached a young man wearing a Studebaker T-shirt. I stopped and said "I think we have something in common." Giving a quick look at my Studebaker logo cap, he replied "I believe we do!" in a jaunty shrimp-on-the-barbie accent.

After introductions, I said "Not a Studebaker part anywhere here." He said, "Well, I'm going from here to an All-American car show at the Melbourne race track. Want to come?

Two minutes later, we were in his right-hand drive Avanti heading for the show. While there, I swapped stories and drank iced tea with a great bunch of SDC club members from Melbourne and Perth. One member that arrived late was driving a lemon-lime 55 Speedster. His name was Don Johnson. I said, "I know that car. You got it from Tobe Wood in Springfield, Ohio. I've got a steering box and a driver side flipper on my '53, also from Tobe."

Small Studebaker world...There were post-war and pre-war Studes as well as all other American makes to eyeball. What a great time I had!

Do you have an Australian friends story?

Regards,
    Bob(stude53)

Yes, I have an Australian friend who lives with me. His name is "Birdie" and he's a cockatiel, very much descended from Australian stock. We never talk about cars (not in his limited vocabulary), but he's a great companion, nonetheless. ~;>

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Working...
    X