This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 and 6 Blade Fans

I've seen these around, but was wondering if they would be an upgrade to the existing 4 blader on my 289 '63 GT or not. Just curious it it would help in those hot summers.

Yes, a 5, or 6, blade would help out some.
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by CKOT

I've seen these around, but was wondering if they would be an upgrade to the existing 4 blader on my 289 '63 GT or not. Just curious it it would help in those hot summers.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I installed a 6 blade flex fan on my 259 and it made a remarkable improvement

Studebaker Fever
      60 Lark
      51 Champion
      Phil

Studebaker Fever
      60 Lark
      56 Power Hawk
      Phil Hendrickson
      Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I put a 6 blade flex in my Kaiser,it made a difference; also, noise level went up.

Comment

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAD PUT A 6 BLADE AFTERMARKET BLADE ON THE LARGER SHAFT CHAMPION 6 AND HOW THEY ENLARGED THE CENTER HOLE IN FAN? THANKS, CHAMP[8D]

Comment

you could use a Uni-Bit but I would think you might need a spacer to keep the fan blades out of the belt. If you use a spacer you probably would have to take it to a machine shop and have the center hole reamed to fit, alternately, use the stock Stude spacer and use the Uni-Bit to fit the aftermarket fan to the spacer.

Obviously all of this would void any warranty on the flex fan, so use good judgement...

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I replaced the almost flat, four blade, fan on the 259 in my '53 Starliner with a Studebaker heavy duty, five blade, fan with a large pitch. It made a major difference for the better during slow speed driving and idleing. It did add to the noise level.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've got a video of a factory film, Desert Destiny, made in 1950, showing the virtues of the Sand Car and Sand Truck that were produced for Arabian oil field work. They show under the hood of the truck, and emphasize things like the 5-blade fan and fan shroud on that 100 hp 200 lb. ft. torque engine. I suppose it is a Commander six. Did the Commander normally have a 5-blade fan, or a 4-blade like the Champion?

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon
                Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by DilloCrafter

I've got a video of a factory film, Desert Destiny, made in 1950, showing the virtues of the Sand Car and Sand Truck that were produced for Arabian oil field work. They show under the hood of the truck, and emphasize things like the 5-blade fan and fan shroud on that 100 hp 200 lb. ft. torque engine. I suppose it is a Commander six. Did the Commander normally have a 5-blade fan, or a 4-blade like the Champion?

In the trucks, a 4-blade fan was standard, but 5 and even 6-blade fans were optional, especially with heavy-duty radiators.

Skip Lackie
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

I've got 5--6--and 7 blade aluminum fans which require a fan clutch for use with any Hawk. They are 18' diameter. Highly polished and very nice. Call me at 304-723-5253 or e-mail me at jimmijim8@yahoo.com if you might need one of these. {shameless plug}
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

are these flex type fans or rigid? Reason I ask is, I already have a perfectly acceptable steel fan on a clutch on my car, but I have this thing about polished stuff under the hood...

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      62 Daytona hardtop
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

I've got 5--6--and 7 blade aluminum fans which require a fan clutch for use with any Hawk. They are 18' diameter.
                        Damned near windmill size! [:0]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

My fans are actually steel and aluminum. The blades are aluminum. They are not flex fans. If you want pics just call me or shoot me an e-mail. jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

CKOT,
                            Yes it will help, I installed a 5 blade fan and clutch from a GT hawk into my 53 coupe V8. The fan increased the airflow at idle. The big differance came from the reduced noise from the fan @ 65mph...
                            Jim
                            sigpic
                            Jim

Comment

thanks everyone for your responses. I am going to scrounge for a stude 5 blader instead of the flex or aftermarket variety to keep the "stock" look under the hood as much as possible

Comment

Working...
                              X