This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6v LED bulbs

One of our Greater Seattle Club members found 6 volt lights on this guys website. For anyone who's interested in brighter stop and tail lamps.
    Click on...LED Replacement Bulbs, then read the "more info"

George Roerbach (www.highspeedmotors.com) sells 6V LED bulbs, and he is an SDC, and Antique Studebaker Club member!
    Let's keep it in the loop!
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

One of our Greater Seattle Club members found 6 volt lights on this guys website. For anyone who's interested in brighter stop and tail lamps.
    Click on...LED Replacement Bulbs, then read the "more info"

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

George Rohrbach's LED bulbs are made specially for Studebakers - they work on 6 volt, positive ground. He has two types of bulbs. One type has LEDs pointing only to the back. The other type also has a ring of LEDs pointing sideways (up, down, left, right, etc.) to fill the entire taillight cavity and illuminate all of the lens. These are especially good for things like my M5 where the taillight is also the license plate light, as well as brake light. The LEDs come on instantly to help keep the tailgaters off your butt and they take much less current, so the headlights don't dim. He has them for the old style bulbs with the pins directly opposite each other and also for the newer type with offset pins (helps get the bulb in correctly for bright brake and not-as-bright taillight.

Here's a shot with the lens off:

Here's the left side with the lens on. When you get back 10-20 feet or more, they are much brighter than regular bulbs.

Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, MA
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

The LFD bulbs are brighter and use less electricity. Auto Zone has LED bulbs for 12 volt. They are clear when unactivated but red when the 'juice' is turned on. I think LED can not produce white light.

Comment

I bought some similar 12V LED bulbs to try; they were dimmer than a regular 1157 or 1034 when installed in my taillights. If anyone finds some that work better than regular incandescents, I'd be willing to try them again.

I can't comment on the 6V versions, but I like George and don't think he'd knowingly sell an inferior product, so I would assume that they are OK.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

At an auto parts store I bought some 12v LED beehive marker lights to use as rear turn signal lights on my truck. They are 1156 equivalents, i.e., only for one connection, not for brake & turn (right thing for my truck's wiring). Anyhow, I agree with what others say about how very bright they are, and fast.

However, if I decide to put LED bulbs in the front turn signal lights, I will probably need to replace my flasher can with a solid state flasher that is compatible with LED lights (a car with only LED bulbs in the turn circuit will not have enough resistance load for the flasher to operate correctly, unless load resistors are installed).

Here is a site that sells various 12v LED bulbs, including the kind Gary Ash mentioned that point some of the LEDs radially, so as to light up the license plate, and the right angle kind, for fender or bumper mounted front blinkers (with LEDs facing forward only). Start here at their helpful page of general info about LED bulbs, and you can click to their bulb product page from there:

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Superbright also sells the 6V lights as well.

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I didn't see the radial kind of 6v bulbs at Superbright (for the license plate illumination). Also, are theirs the correct polarity for a positive ground? If not certain, I would recommend sticking to the ones Mr. Rohrbach sells if the need is for a car/truck with 6v positive ground.

But for 12v neg. ground, I will try the ones at Superbright.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

it was superbrightleds.com where I bought the 12V ones that I was disappointed in. They were the ones with the extra LEDs arranged radially.

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for 6V. They also have 6V/12V dash/display lights as well, and various truck lights on some of their other pages (see links). What they apparently do not offer are the 32 LED lights.

Shop our vast selection of LED boat lights, marine lights, boat spotlights, deck lights, and underwater lights. Free and same-day shipping on qualifying orders.

Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

<<Let's keep it in the loop!>>

Sorry, just trying to pass along something that looked helpful.

Comment

Tom,

That really WAS helpful. By raising the topic, you commenced a thread that ultimately leads to several sources of LED bulbs for those who may choose to use them. Maybe George will get some sales as a result. I remember that this came up on the Stude newsgroup a few months ago, and that it was posted then that George had LED lamps for sale. Being as I'm not in the market for them, it had quite slipped my mind. Now, I've been made wise again.

Will I see you at Portland? Counting the days....

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

No need to be sorry. It was just a rallyeing cry..
                          You made a point to bring a source forward, and I just added an additional source...one that we know.
                          Maybe I should have phrased it a tad differently, is all.
                          Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Nate,

I haven't bought any from Superbright yet, so I appreciate the warning about those LED bulbs not being as bright as incandescents.

I looked again at their website's info page http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm and saw that there is a section titled, Brightness of LED Car Bulbs. After that paragraph they go on to say, "Some of our bulbs are available with 12, 19, 24 or 30 LEDS, the more LEDs they have, the brighter they are."

You said you tried the ones with LEDs arranged vertically, which means they had 24 total LEDs, and only 18 aiming out the "end". I'm hoping I will be satisfied with the brightness of the kind with 30 LEDs aiming out the end, or the 30 LEDs at a right angle.

I'll give it a try, and report my findings here (won't be for a month or so).

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Working...
                            X