PDA

View Full Version : Changing an open diff to TT

Dan White
03-14-2006, 03:58 PM
I am in the process of putting a Twin Traction diff in an open rear (both are Dana 44s). Anything specific I need to watch for. I know about the additional lubricant, but anyting else? Also, anyone know where I can get one of those TT diff tags?

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

JBOYLE
03-14-2006, 04:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Also, anyone know where I can get one of those TT diff tags?

Dan White

If you referring to the decal for service personnel, S-I and other vendors sell them.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Roscomacaw
03-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Have you got the axle shaft thrust blocks you'll need?

If you're talking about the T tag, I might have one around here. They also have a decal that the vendors have that goes on the rear cover. It warns to use the proper fluid.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Chicken Hawk
03-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Have you checked to be sure you have the correct TT unit? The 3.73 and lower ratio numbers are different than the 3.92 and higher numbers. If I remember correctly, the higher number carrier and TT units are about .220" thicker. Just check your TT unit to the carrier you're taking out to see that the ring gear pad heights are the same.

Ted

I am in the process of putting a Twin Traction diff in an open rear (both are Dana 44s). Anything specific I need to watch for. I know about the additional lubricant, but anyting else? Also, anyone know where I can get one of those TT diff tags?

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Dan White
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Mr. Biggs, it looks like I am missing the axle shaft thrust blocks. I am assuming that anyone that works on rears/trans might have these or ??? The tag is the metal tag on the rear cover that tells you what the ratio is and to use the special lube.

Ted, I am changing from a 3:73 open to a 3:31 TT so I should be OK.

Thanks

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Roscomacaw
03-14-2006, 10:27 PM
From what I know, the thrust blocks aren't plentiful, but with some searching, you should be able to come up with a couple.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

rusty nut garage
03-16-2006, 09:32 AM
This is much more involved then simply bolting the carrier into the housing. You must set up the gears per the shop manual or good gear setup procedures. Some special tools are involved, a case spreader is called for, I've seen some real creative guys do it without but its a challenge. The runout and backlash is set by shims under bearings. Damage to the bearing is possible if you don't have the correct pullers. Unless your wanting to learn and do some of these in the future I'd suggest you take your housing to some who set these up for a living. jeep scout etc use the dana 44. a good 4wheel drive shop would be your best bet. the average mech doesn't do enough of these to become good @ it. Rearend setup isn't something you want to get close on or take short cuts.
Russ (

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Dan White
03-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the info Russ. I am aware of the requirements and had planned to take the rear to a shop that specializes in diff, 4wd and various other driveline requirements.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

rusty nut garage
03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Wise man you are!! Parts even for stude rears are readily available.
I got my last rebuilt kit from Randy Ring&Pinion. All they needed was #'s off the ring gear, they were able to get all the info from that.
Here's their site
http://www.ringpinion.com/

Thanks for the info Russ. I am aware of the requirements and had planned to take the rear to a shop that specializes in diff, 4wd and various other driveline requirements.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)