• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Lark Production Order Question

On the build sheet what does

63 ELEC WINDS

indicate?

1960 Lark Convertible

I don't have the code list here, but I believe that means electric windshield washers. Many people erroneously assume that it means electric (or power) windows, which were not even an option on 1960 Larks.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

And even the "electric windshield washers" nomenclature is a little misleading; AFAIK they never offered an electric pump, there was still a little squeeze bulb on the floor for the driver to step on. the "electric" part is that some of them had a little electrical switch operated by a foot pedal on top of the squeeze bulb; when you step on it it activates the windshield wipers.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Cool!! I just tried mine- no washer bag on the car,but stepped on the pedal and the wipers came on!!!

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        60Lark
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Thanks guys, kind of what I thought. Interestingly there is no evidence of windshield washers on the car (nozzels, pump, brackets, etc.) but after 46 years things get changed.

1960 Lark Convertible
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

63 ELEC WINDS
            Electric windshield washer. Accessory # AC-2943. Factory Installed price $11.95. Uninstalled dealer list price. $9.40
            Jeff Sheaffer
            Driving the past into the future

Comment

The systems seem to go missing after a few decades. According to the build sheet, My Avanti came with them but everything under the hood is now missing (bag, cap, valve, strainer). But the foot pump and chrome nozzel (along with some ancient clear tubing in the cowl) are still there.
              My theory is they were removed when the car was painted.

I found the NOS parts from Packard Specialties (they also have a lot of Stude parts). Now I just need the bracket...and I've found a used one. Good luck.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
              X