This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Bearing ?

What is the size of the crankshaft bore for the pilot bearing on a Studebaker V-8 [in thousands of an inch]? Mine is the 232. Are they all the same size? Thanks

Darryl C. Lewallen

Not sure what the size is but all the big vendors have them and they are pretty cheap.

Jeff DeWitt
    Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

This is for the F**d 5-speed swap I'm finally getting back in to. I want to see if I can use a Mustang roller pilot bearing but it depends on the pilot bearing bore in the rear of the crankshaft. Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen
      Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

This is a big problem on tranny swaps. The Chev pilot is 1.093"OD and .592" ID. The Stude is .934" OD and .750" ID. On the Ford it is .675" ID I do not have a Ford pilot in hand right now so I can't tell you what the OD is. Stude and Chrysler used the same OD pilots and Trans Dapt in Cerritos has them. Or do like I do, take a bar of bronze 1" diam. and bore and ream the hole to size .675 for Ford and turn the OD down to .934. I do not think you are going to get the Ford roller pilot to fit in the Stude crank without setting the crank up in a crank lathe and boring the hole out to the Ford OD. If you want to do that I will give you Hank the Crank's numbers to check out. Or if you can wait until the 8th of April and be out at the Crystal Park Show I will bring one.

Comment

Somewhere [I have not been able to locate it] I read where s Ford racing roller bearing could be separated and the inner part [rollers and center sleeve] would fit the Stude. crank and the Ford T-5 input shaft but I would like to know for sure before I purchase something I can't use. Thanks for the measurments.

Darryl C. Lewallen
          Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Working...
          X