PDA

View Full Version : '46 Studebaker Pickup

stephenm
03-12-2006, 05:44 PM
A friend has a '46 M pickup, and wants to put it on a more
contemporary frame...any suggestions?

JDP
03-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I know the S-10 frame works on the 49 and up trucks, not sure about the M series.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 Daytona Convert.

Swifster
03-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Yep, don't do it. Talk to Heidt's or Total Cost Involved and they can set him up with an independent suspension kit (uses Mustang II style front end). Unless he's talking a huge power increase, the original frame should work great.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

stephenm
03-13-2006, 09:37 AM
He's thinking he could have modern brakes.....etc, would like to make it
a daily driver for a commute....

jjones
03-13-2006, 07:23 PM
I have been told that the S-10 frame will work. with that said, I agree with Swifster. The original frame is tough. I have a Fatman's Mustang II conversion under my 1947 M, a 10-bolt GM rear axle, and a MasterPower power brake setup under the floor. When I bought it, it had a Olds V8 installed by an idiot in it. I repaired the damage and replaced that with a Studebaker 259 V8 rebuilt with recommendations from Ted Harbit. The truck is peppy, handles well, stops well, and runs down the freeway with no problems.

As far as I know, Fatman is the only company that makes a kit specifically for the M truck, but I'm sure Heidt's or Total Cost Involved kits can be adapted, and both are quality.

Hope this helps
jj

stephenm
03-13-2006, 07:53 PM
his next question was going to be whether or not a V8 will work with
the original frame, and it sounds as if that won't be a problem
....about what is the cost of the conversion to the Mustang II?...this
sounds like the best way to update the undercarriage in a way the makes
the truck an option for his 50 mile a day commute....