PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! I've got a key problem.

MacMyers
03-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Ok... the 63 Hawk I just bought is on it's way down here from Illinois.

I bought it from this guy:
Larry Brown <collectorcarsandparts@yahoo.com>

Anyone know him?
After they loaded it on the trailer and sent it on it's way he calls me and tells me he can't find the freakin' keys. How screwed am I? If/when he finds the keys he'll overnight them. SO now I'm going to get a car dropped off in a couple of days at a shopping center about a mile away. Pisses me off. I may have to wrecker it to the house because there is no way that the shipper can get into my neighborhood much less the little cul de sac I live on without running over people, grass, and cars. And then he'd have to get himself out again (back up 4 miles).
What would you guys do (besides hunting the guy down and killing him)?
Can a locksmith make a Stude key or are locksmiths really just key grinders in this day and age? Do you need a special key blank?
I dunno how to hot wire a car without ripping it to bits and all of my auto competent friends are 125 miles away. I left em' when I moved here. Man I'm getting more pissed off by the second. I already paid the dumb bastage too.

Mac

Tbatson
03-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Go to an auto parts house and buy a starter button. It's just a push button with two wires. Each wire will have an alligator clip on the end. Then get a jumper wire. Again just a wire with alligator clips on each end. Hook up the jumper wire from the + terminal on the battery to the + side of the coil. Hook up the starter button with one side to the + terminal on the battery and the other to the main terminal (the biggest one) on the starter. Push the starter button and the engine will crank and start. Unhook the jumper wire from the battery to shut it off. You can btake the ignition switch out and to a locksmith. They can make a waxed impression and cut a key.

garyash
03-11-2006, 05:37 PM
You can order a copy of the build record from the Stude Museum. Call and plea for quick delivery for your "key emergency". The build record will have the key number on it. The post a message for --Shiva-- on the alt.autos.studebaker newsgroup and ask him to cut a key for you. He will get back to you. He's a locksmith with the right equipment, key blanks, and the code books for Stude locks and keys.

Gary Ash
Dartmouth, MA
'48 M5
'65 Wagonaire Commander
'63 Wagonaire Standard
www.studegarage.com

MacMyers
03-11-2006, 07:10 PM
What gauge on the wire?
Mac

quote:Originally posted by Tbatson

Go to an auto parts house and buy a starter button. It's just a push button with two wires. Each wire will have an alligator clip on the end. Then get a jumper wire. Again just a wire with alligator clips on each end. Hook up the jumper wire from the + terminal on the battery to the + side of the coil. Hook up the starter button with one side to the + terminal on the battery and the other to the main terminal (the biggest one) on the starter. Push the starter button and the engine will crank and start. Unhook the jumper wire from the battery to shut it off. You can btake the ignition switch out and to a locksmith. They can make a waxed impression and cut a key.

52hawk
03-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Heck of a lot simpler to jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver. You'd have to have one mighty starter button to jump from the battery to the starter.
All you'll need is a piece of wire from the pos battery terminal to the coil positive,but if you run it too long,you'll burn up the points[assuming it still has point ignition.]
Best to call a lock smith,if you're not familiar with hot wiring cars. I've seen locksmiths make keys just by putting a blank in the lock,twisting it a few times looking closely at it,and filing where needed[by the marks made in the blank].All you need to find is a locksmith that has the proper blank...
BTW-when most shippers pick up a car,they double check to make sure they have the keys.maybe thats where the keys are???

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

N8N
03-11-2006, 09:42 PM
You guys are making this too complicated. Bring a couple jumper wires with alligator clips with you when you go to collect the car. Just unhook the negative battery cable (so as not to make sparks) and drop the ignition switch out of the dash, just let it dangle. Then jumper from "bat" to "ign" and to start, hook another one to "start" and let it strike something hot. If you think you may need directionals once the car is running use the second jumper wire to feed power to "ACC" that's it, there's no interlocks or anything on a Studebaker.

As others have said, you can get keys cut to code, or else take one of the door locks (pass side is likely less worn) and the glovebox lock (likely less worn than trunk, and less of a PITA to remove) to a locksmith.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

MacMyers
03-12-2006, 09:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

As others have said, you can get keys cut to code, or else take one of the door locks (pass side is likely less worn) and the glovebox lock (likely less worn than trunk, and less of a PITA to remove) to a locksmith.

I'm just going to call a few locksmiths and see if I can find a mobile with the correct key blank. I dunno from removing door locks in a parking lot. Probably cost me an arm and a leg.

wagone
03-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Good luck finding someone with the right key blanks.

doctormap
03-13-2006, 02:53 PM
I suffered the same fate when I bought my car last summer. Shortly before having the car picked up by the shipper, the previous owner e-mailed me to say that he had lost the ignition key. After I got the car, I removed the driver's side door lock cylinder and took it to a local locksmith, and they were able to make a new key, no problem. Turns out, the trunk key was in the glovebox, so I didn't have to have that one made.

doctormap
'48 Champion 4-door