PDA

View Full Version : pcv on 1960 Lark v-8

52hawk
03-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Can someone tell me the original location of the pcv valve on my 60 Lark,V-8? The car was shipped to Ca when new.Right now it has a pcv in the manifold,behind the carburetor.I cleaned the valve and put a hose from it to the left valve cover.-Each valve cover has a connection for a hose,but the one on the right was obviously added,[because the hole in valve cover was 'chopped']-I plugged that one up.
Car has a breather on the filler stem,which I washed with solvent,but also has a road draft tube on the rear of the valley cover.??? Would a pcv equipped car also have the road draft tube?
And,what year did California begin to require a pcv system?? I've read that it was '61.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Roscomacaw
03-10-2006, 12:39 PM
It would not have had a draft tube AND a PCV system. Where the draft tube goes, a cap with a hose barb (connection) would sit in it's place. From there, a short hose connects to the PCV valve.
'61 was the first year but later on, California required older cars to retrofit with a PCV and other contrivances as pollution control measures. That's how a car like your 60 could have ended up with a PCV setup. And I know firsthand that the "inspectors" (local garage mechanics) were very liberal as to how such was installed. Sorta like: "Wanna raise the hood for me? Ah-yup! I see a PCV valve there. OK, you pass! That'll be ten bucks please."[}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Mike Van Veghten
03-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Yea...most difinatly...remove the road draft tube.
As the PCV, being hooked to the carburetor....pulls vacuum...is then pulling dirty air into the crank case and eventually into the cylinders.

N8N
03-10-2006, 03:55 PM
easiest thing to do would be to get the little thing that others have described that replaces the road draft tube and then run an inline PCV valve from that to the base of the carb, like the later cars had from the factory. Then for the breathers on the valve covers (which aren't correct for a '60 BTW) just replace them with regular breathers. You can either leave the stock oil filler stack at the front of the engine or replace it with a blockoff plate, your choice.

Alternately, you could just replace the valve covers with ones without breathers and leave the road draft tube in place, that would be the way your car came from the factory. If you do this you need to retain the oil filler stack and the breather cap on top of it. I don't know if this would cause you problems in California or not though. (I see from your .sig that that is probably not a concern.)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

52hawk
03-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys! I think the first thing I'll do is find a set of valve covers that haven't been modified.As far as actual ventilation,does the PCV really do any better than the old 'breathe if you want to'CV system??
Somebody put a home-made crossover pipe on the exhaust,for single exhaust-I got a tailpipe from SASCO,went back to dual exhaust.. it made a difference I can actually feel.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Roscomacaw
03-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Mid-year, 1960, they changed from the old 4-hole valve covers (in use since the debut of a Stude V8 in 1951) to the later (non-breather capped)2-hole style of valve cover.:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS