This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body tag # ID

I got the tag numbers off the 2 55's I have. Can anyone tell me what the numbers mean?
    1st: 6H Y6 10174
    2nd: 6H Y6 3832

I know the H&Y mean 4 door, long wheelbase, what about the other numbers?
    Thanks

1955 President

Job: Student @ Penn State
    Love of Studebakers?: High

quote:Originally posted by 55pres

I got the tag numbers off the 2 55's I have. Can anyone tell me what the numbers mean?
    1st: 6H Y6 10174
    2nd: 6H Y6 3832

I know the H&Y mean 4 door, long wheelbase, what about the other numbers?
    Thanks

1955 President

6H = 1955 President
    Y6 = 4 door long wheel base sedan with "State" trim
    10174 and 3832 = sequential number of body tub

-Dick-
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,

Thanks for the lightning fast reply!!

About the 2 cars, they are a bit different. The car with the lower number tag is the two-tone that you see most offen with single exhuast, 4 barrle 3 speed OD. However, the other car,(higher number) has a soild tone paint job dual exhaust and fender skirts. Were these just factory options? I shouldn't really ask, but are these cars really worth restoring? I know they aren't on the same playing field as the Speedsters, just asking.
      Thanks again

1955 President

Comment

Any old car you like is worth restoring. Restoring cars is a worthless hobby of infinite worth.

Comment

Well 55Pres,

You're asking a loaded question. Both these are President State Sedans. They were the next most expensive offering from Studebaker below the vaunted Speedster. (The Speedster, which, BTW, only came as an afterthought for the '55 season)[:0]
          Both the Speedster and the State sedan drip brightwork and have the same powerplant/driveline. If you had a freshly restored Speedster and a Pres. State sedan that were equal in condition, I'd choose the sedan for my own driving pleasure. I'm not just saying that either.
          Yes, I know that the Speedster's the hot ticket, value-wise. But that Y6 car will drive nicer and the sight of it will blow away anyone who's not familiar with both cars.
          Are you likely to get whatever you pour into a Y6 like you might with a 6H-K7? No. But you'll have one hell of a road machine when you're done. Moreso than the K7 to my way of thinking.

BTW, the available paint schemes and the many options available almost guarantee you'll never find two of the same 55 model that are EXACTLY alike - so differences between the two you have are not surprizing.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55pres

I shouldn't really ask, but are these cars really worth restoring?
            It depends upon what you mean by "worth".

If you mean will you get your restoration investment back or make money when you sell the car...the answer is NO. But it is NO for just about any old car. Generally, you will have more money into a restoration than you can sell the car for (even if you do most of the work yourself and don't count your time as part of the investment).

But, that's not why most of us fool around with old cars. We do it because it's fun, we meet some great people, we learn interesting things, we get some personal satisfaction in bringing back a car that we like. It's a hobby. Hobbys generally cost money.

If YOU like the cars and have the budget to restore them, go for it! As Mr. Biggs says, those big sedans are great drivers, good looking, and not your run-of-the-mill brand X. It will suck up all your time and money, but you'll have a lot of fun along the way and plenty more when the car is done. You'll enjoy it and it will bring a smile to the face of everyone that sees the completed car.

-Dick-

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

1955 President State sedans came standard with fender skirts, so both cars should have them. The skirts were shipped in cardboard boxes, with the color stamped/written on the box, in the trunk of the car (up on the back shelf of all that I have seen). In the '80s, I saw a '55 President State sedan where the fender skirts were still in the original box in the trunk.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What are the serial numbers? It is possible that the cars were assembled in two different Studebaker plants. At that time, there were small differences in cars made at different plants, like the President name on/not on Speedsters.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks again for all the kind words

I'll have to check the serial numbers. I'm not sure where the skirts are on the one car, I found the car in a barn in Chambersburg, so they could be any where. I'll get those numbers.

1955 President

Comment

There's another good reason to restore an old car - NO ELECTRONICS. Once you have a modern car, you end up "married" to the dealer, who has the special expensive computer that can "talk" to your on-board computers.
                    An older restored beauty you can fix yourself, and there's something to be said for a car that stands out in a crowd AND can be recognised at 50 paces.
                    Most modern cars require you to read the name badge to know what it is (they look so similar, don't they).
                    /H

Comment

Got the numbers.

The serial # for the car with the #10174 body tag= 7I68638
                      The serial # for the car with the #3832 body tag= 7I59823
                      From what I know the I's are 1's. So maybe that will help some.
                      Thanks

1955 President

Comment

Those numbers only confirm that both cars were '55 Presidents built in South Bend.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The "both...built in South Bend" was the part that I was trying to ascertain from the serial numbers. In 1955 models, there were differences in trim depending on assembly plant. I would think that his two '55 President State sedans, being both assembled in South Bend during a small period of time, should have similar trim. Of course factory options could be different. The build sheets would identify these differences.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I'd like to get the build sheets for the cars just to see what they came with. I knew they were both the "state" model.
                            Thanks again!

1955 President

Comment

Working...
                            X