This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel/tire question

I want to put radial WWW on my 53 HT. I'd like a wider tire, but I understand that there are clearance issues. Looking back through TW back issues, they recommend chrysler wheels and P195 tires. They say P205's might work, but cause handling problems. So here's the question - Assuming that the original wheels and tires are saved for show, what is the best wheel/tire combination for modern radials and everyday driving on a stock 53 HT? I've read that wider offsets can cause bearing problems, so what is the best offset? Anybody have a source for the right wheels, or is it easier to just hit the local junk yards?

G. Howes

I've recommended the 195s all along. However, it's come to pass that these are just about extinct from the tire market (yes, I know there's some General's available, but they're blackwall only) so 205s are it.
    My tire guy assures me that 70-series 205s have the same outer diameter of 195 75 series - and those (70 series 205s) can easily be had with white walls.
    I'm running some Mopar 15" wheels I found on an '80s Dodge in a wrecking yard (sorry I can't be more specific than that but it's been two years since I got them). There's a fella selling new replacement wheels via his ad in Turning Wheels lately.
    I'm sure other's here will elaborate more. Did you seach this site's archives? We've discussed this several times before.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

FYI - I just got some 205/75/15 Uniroyals (thin WW) put on Stella, and she drives fine with them so far. Of course, the tires that WERE on there were 215/75/15s that hardly held any air, so the difference was dramatic for me.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Comment

Thanks for the help - and I gave myself a slap on the forehead for not checking the archives first. Looks like it's been covered well already. I will say that I put cooker radial ww tires ($$!) on my 41 chevy PU and the handling is great - no problems, but it doesn't get alot of hard driving. I used the original 41 artillery rims, and cooker said to just install tubes to be safe. I think the tubes ran $9 each. The local Discount Tire refused to install the tubes (said it was against the law?!), so I went to a Goodyear dealer - and they were much more helpful.

G. Howes

Comment

I am running 17x8 wheels and 245/45 R17 Essenza tires. I ran 245/60's
          on 14 inch rims on my 60 Hawk for years, and even lowered, it never
          rubbed anything. The rims on the Hawk were 7 inch wide. If you live
          in California, I would give you a deal on them, they need a polish.

A friend of mine is running 15 x 7 on his 56 Sky Hawk, to fit over
          his Steeltech brakes. The 14's work on a drum brake car, but not a
          disc (unless you mod them like I did to the stude ones years ago).

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
          X