PDA

View Full Version : Help with Stalling

richpease
03-06-2006, 06:20 PM
A bit of advice please. I got my Cruiser running, but while I'm driving it stalls out whenever I slow dow. She'll start right back up, but stalls every time I stop or slow down. Doesn't matter what gear (3 spd standard) or speed. In the past couple days I have had the oil changed, cleaned the carb, replaced the fuel filter, and blown a bunch of grease off the engine.

Also, anyone know the Monroe or Napa part number for the rear shocks?

Thanks.

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

studegary
03-06-2006, 07:06 PM
My guesses from the information provided: idle set too low, dirty/clogged air cleaner, vacuum leak, idle mixture adjustment incorrectly set.

richpease
03-06-2006, 07:12 PM
The air cleaner is missing. I have the 2 bbl carb and there is no stud on which to mount the air cleaner. I'm assuming there should be one, but I'm not sure how to replace it.

If my questions seem novice in nature, it's only because in spite of having a Stude for 17 years, up until last week the most I have ever done under the hood is change the plugs and wires. Now that I am serious about fixing up the 61, I have started to get serious under the hood.:D

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

N8N
03-06-2006, 07:15 PM
does it stall when you push out the clutch, or when you slow down really fast?

for your rear shocks, the only good number I have is Gabriel 82151, available from several vendors and also AutoZone.

Which reminds me, I promised I'd find the info on the Camaro shock swap (won't help you though, unless you swap to late spring plates)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

richpease
03-06-2006, 07:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

does it stall when you push out the clutch, or when you slow down really fast?

for your rear shocks, the only good number I have is Gabriel 82151, available from several vendors and also AutoZone.

Which reminds me, I promised I'd find the info on the Camaro shock swap (won't help you though, unless you swap to late spring plates)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

Nate,

It happens when I push in the clutch to slow down and stop.

Thanks for the shock number, your comment abot the Camaro shocks intrigues me. What would be involved in swapping to late spring plates (what are they?)

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

DEEPNHOCK
03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
I have some extra air cleaner mounting 'baskets'..
Send me a note and I'll get one for you.

Try this (to ID the problem)...
Set your idle at about 900 rpm in drive.
If the problem goes away, lower the idle rpm (in drive) until the car doesn't stall...
Or...Get the late model dashpot to keep the throttle from slamming all the way shut right away...
I also might have an extra one of those...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by richpease

The air cleaner is missing. I have the 2 bbl carb and there is no stud on which to mount the air cleaner. I'm assuming there should be one, but I'm not sure how to replace it.

If my questions seem novice in nature, it's only because in spite of having a Stude for 17 years, up until last week the most I have ever done under the hood is change the plugs and wires. Now that I am serious about fixing up the 61, I have started to get serious under the hood.:D

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

N8N
03-06-2006, 07:41 PM
OK, if you'd said it stalled only under heavy braking I was going to suggest float set too low but never mind. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Esp. around the baseplate of the carb, since you implied that you took it off (you said you cleaned it)

didn't lose a vacuum fitting cap or anything did you? Leave a hose disconnected? Any of those will cause what you describe

re: the Camaro shock swap, supposedly if you don't like the Gabriel shocks (but for the price - about $15 each - they're pretty darn good) you can use shocks from a 2nd series Camaro with some simple mods; but the rears are the 63-66 style, so you'd need the plates that the lower end of the shocks mount to from a 63-66 car if you wanted to go down that road.

Personally I'd just buy the Gabriels and be done with it; no sense spending big bucks for a shock you have to modify to make work for a slight improvement in damping unless you're a) driving the car every day, or near to it and b) not happy with the ride of the Gabriels (which, like I said, aren't bad IMHO.)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

Mike Van Veghten
03-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Jeff.................

Read that "3spd. standard".

or -

"When I push the clutch in".

That's ok...we all screw up once in a while !!![8D]:D[8D]

richpease
03-06-2006, 07:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

OK, if you'd said it stalled only under heavy braking I was going to suggest float set too low but never mind. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Esp. around the baseplate of the carb, since you implied that you took it off (you said you cleaned it)

didn't lose a vacuum fitting cap or anything did you? Leave a hose disconnected? Any of those will cause what you describe

re: the Camaro shock swap, supposedly if you don't like the Gabriel shocks (but for the price - about $15 each - they're pretty darn good) you can use shocks from a 2nd series Camaro with some simple mods; but the rears are the 63-66 style, so you'd need the plates that the lower end of the shocks mount to from a 63-66 car if you wanted to go down that road.

Personally I'd just buy the Gabriels and be done with it; no sense spending big bucks for a shock you have to modify to make work for a slight improvement in damping unless you're a) driving the car every day, or near to it and b) not happy with the ride of the Gabriels (which, like I said, aren't bad IMHO.)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

When I said I cleaned it, I meant with spray carb cleaner. I've never checked for vacuum leaks, so I'm not sure how its done. I'll also check the idle (I assume the Shop Manual shows or explains how). Thanks.

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

richpease
03-06-2006, 07:48 PM
[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

I have some extra air cleaner mounting 'baskets'..
Send me a note and I'll get one for you.

Try this (to ID the problem)...
Set your idle at about 900 rpm in drive.
If the problem goes away, lower the idle rpm (in drive) until the car doesn't stall...
Or...Get the late model dashpot to keep the throttle from slamming all the way shut right away...
I also might have an extra one of those...
Jeff[8D]

Jeff,

I would be interested in the mounting basket. Can you email me some details (price, etc.)? Thanks.

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

Mike Van Veghten
03-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Rich,

Does it idle well? Does it rev properly sitting still?

What happens when the car is sitting still and you push the clutch in? This question is looking for a short in a wire somewhere. Check for loose wires or a wire that's "just bearly there", if you know what I mean. One of those primary ignition wires that looks good...but under certain motions...looses contact. Feel for weak joints near the connector...you know the feel that is not the same as down the wire an inch or so.
Look at all the primary ignition wires, the two small wires at the solinoid, ignition switch...etc.

Good luck.

Mike

DEEPNHOCK
03-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Well duhhh Jeff[:0][8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

Jeff.................

Read that "3spd. standard".

or -

"When I push the clutch in".

That's ok...we all screw up once in a while !!![8D]:D[8D]

DEEPNHOCK