PDA

View Full Version : brake shoe lining - where to purchase?

pszikszai
03-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I have tried to purchase brake shoe lining #177 for front 54-66 studes.
I also tried Bendix #263 for ford F150 years 80-93 that supposed to be the same.
None of the local stores I tried carried them.
Does anyone know where I can buy these?
Thanks.
Paul

52hawk
03-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Not sure about fronts,but for my Hawk I just 2 weeks ago, bought the rears from CarQuest.[$23.00][fronts are supposed to be the same as Checker cab,also] You have to find a person behind the counter that will take the time to look up stuff in the old paper catalogues.,most Stude stuff is not in the computer. Also,O'Reilly's has been helpful lately. Had points,cap,rotor,and spark plugs in stock for my 60 Lark.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Dick Steinkamp
03-05-2006, 03:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by pszikszai

I have tried to purchase brake shoe lining #177 for front 54-66 studes.
I also tried Bendix #263 for ford F150 years 80-93 that supposed to be the same.
None of the local stores I tried carried them.
Does anyone know where I can buy these?
Thanks.
Paul

Why guess that a part for a brand X "might" work, or drive around to local parts stores trying to find someone who has the interchange manuals and the interest to help. You can order the shoes from any number of knowledgable Studebaker parts vendors. You'll get the right parts the first time at a fair price.

Here's a list...

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

BTW, there were at least 2 sizes of front shoes for 54-66 cars.

-Dick-

52hawk
03-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Sorry Mr Steinkamp,don't get the idea I'm trying to circumvent the Stude vendors. It's just that certain hardparts CAN be bought locally,without using credit cards,and paying shipping.Some of Studebaker owners here have been called 'frugal',ya know.
I,as a rule,support our vendors whenever possible,but I won't pay S.I. $12.50 a piece for wiper blades,when I can buy them right here in town for $7.50 apiece. 2 weeks ago,I sent SI about $300,am currently preparing another order,and presently I have a small order in at SASCO. I am waiting for JP to get back to work,so that I can order carpet and plug wires from him...and have been in contact with Don Gay And Bob Kapteyn concerning other parts.
Please don't think I'm a smart__.,but I see nothing wrong with buying the common parts over the counter,and saving some bucks,using my 'real' money for Stude vendors and membership in the museum.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

rockne10
03-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I sent the front shoes from my 63 to T-bow and he relined them and had them back to me in less than two weeks. I forget the price but it was no more than it would have cost locally. The cores on front V-8 brakes are scarce. Do not discard them.

Dick Steinkamp
03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

Sorry Mr Steinkamp,don't get the idea I'm trying to circumvent the Stude vendors.

OK, you're forgiven :D[8D]

-Dick-

pszikszai
03-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks to all who replied.
Please reply again if you can answer my question.
If I can buy parts locally then I do not wish to deal with
any vendor over email or any other media.
If I had an immediate need then I certainly would go that rout.
However, I am just trying to build up my suplies while the winter
weather keeps me working inside.
Thanks again.
Paul

rockne10
03-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Paul,
You're not finding them listed locally because brake manufacturers no longer make the shoes. Even Studebaker International can only supply those front brakes if you send your cores to be relined.

"...certain hardparts can be bought locally..." if they are available.
I'm afraid you will find these probably aren't. You can find the linings at swapmeets and, occasionally on Ebay, then you still have to bond them to your shoes.

Sorry I don't have the answer you want. Since you don't need them immediately, there's no harm in continuing to look. Best of luck.

blackhawk
03-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Paul, you've gotten several replies about the availability of the bonded lining. There is one other option and that is to reline them yourself if you can find lining and brass brake rivits. It is not hard. When I was growing up, we did this all the time. After predrilled and cut lining became hard to get, Dad got a long roll of lining somewhere that we'd cut to length and drill for the rivits and then dress up with the grinder. The downside of this, besides the extra work over simply installing bonded lining, is that even the brass rivits will wear grooves in the drums when the lining wears down to the rivit heads. So, you have to try to not let the brakes wear that far down before relining them. As you know, the bonded lining can wear all the way down to the shoe before there is a problem. Dad claimed the rivited lining stopped the car better because, if I remember right, the heat dissipated better. I don't know if that was really the case, but we used rivited lining long after bonded lining became available because that was his preference.

Dale