This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question about Engine Number

I know that I'm probably looking right at it, but does anyone have a picture showing the location of the engine serial number in a Lark? Shop Manual says upper left fron of engine cylinder on a machined plate. Either I'm blind or its missing or something else, but I sure could use some better direction.

Thanks.

Rich Pease
    Ogden, UT
    59 Lark 2dr
    61 Lark 4dr

On a V-8? Midway,between the oil filler spout and the edge of the drivers side cylinder head. On a flat portion of the top of the block.If there is any grease at all you won't see it. It is stamped lightly into the block. Wipe or scrape it clean.
    Typical 259 v-8 #- V467450. BTW- left is always the drivers side,right is the passenger side. [This # will be on your right,as you are standing in front of the car,looking under the hood]

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    60Lark
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Also- # starting with A 'v' IS A 259. # STARTING WITH 'p' IS 289.
      If the block was ever replaced,it may not have a stamped # ...
      Other posters have mentioned a clover leaf stamped on some replacement engine blocks.

LaSalle,Il
      61Hawk
      60Lark
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The only plate I see has the number 3E20863. Is it a truck engine, or am I still looking at the wrong thing?

Rich Pease
        Ogden, UT
        59 Lark 2dr
        61 Lark 4dr

Comment

Truck #'s I don't know about. But this is not a 'plate' It is stamped directly into a flat area on the top of the block itself.
          I had a pic of this on a 62,but lost it when I replaced my 'puter.

LaSalle,Il
          61Hawk
          60Lark
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Thanks. I looked at the TechTips and it does appear that I have a 1963 8E Series Commercial 259, which I'm guessing is a truck engine.

Rich Pease
            Ogden, UT
            59 Lark 2dr
            61 Lark 4dr

Comment

Nothin' wrong with that. I wonder if the truck engines are any tougher than car engines??

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              60Lark
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The "Heavy Duty" editions were tougher in that they had special bearings, valves (or at least valve rotators) and aluminum cam gears.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                X