I would like to install a 350 chevy motor
from a 73 el camino into my 55 1/2 ton body/57 3/4 ton
suspension stude. Does anyone already make motor mounts
or do I have to make some.
Thank you very much for any ideas.

Billy howe

studegary
03-04-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't know of any ready made engine mounts for this conversion. I have owned two 1959 pickups with Chevrolet V8s (400 & 350), but they were both sub-framed, so the mounts were there. Come to think of it, almost all Studebaker pickups with Chevy engines that I am aware of are also sub-framed. It is a way to get a better ride and better brakes along with the engine mounts.

Perhaps StudeDude/Dave L. will chime in here. I believe that his truck (not a pickup) has a Chevrolet V8 on the Studebaker frame.

buddymander
03-05-2006, 01:33 PM
If you still have the el camino, just chop off the frame behind the a-frames and graft it onto the stude frame. Notch out the stude so teh radiator support and bumper brackets maintain their correct dimensions. But your motor will be down way too low in the bay when you get done. I made steel mounts for my Olds 350 motor in my 49 the raised the motor up about two inches so I could mount a stock fan and have it 1/2 inch from the cross flow olds radiator mouinted to the front of the support with two holes cut for the hoses to go thru. Motors mounted stock on those subframes look like they're way down in a box. I'm sure somebody is gonna say something about "center of gravity" and all that.