PDA

View Full Version : Air-conditioning a 1963 R-2 Avanti

floydjaehnert
03-04-2006, 08:51 PM
I am looking for technical information and/or suggestions regarding air-conditoning a 1963 R-2 Avanti.

41 Frank
03-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I did that installation a couple of years ago, basically what I did was put the alternator where the powersteering would normally be and then mounted a SAnden compressor on a modified bracket in the old alternator position. I also made a idler to keep the drive belt away from the expansion tank for the radiator. We used all Vintage air stuff. A Gen II compact evaporator unit and one of their condensers.
The biggest problem was running all the air discharge hoses under the dash as it is real cozy under there. We used two eye type vents in upright part of the console on each side of the vintage air control panel we mounted there and one rectangular vent mounted to each side of dash.

KOOL R2
03-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I did such an installation in my 63 R2 Avanti. The detailed write up is in the Avanti Magazine Issue 105. You can contact me off line and I will send you the article ( minus the pictures ) via e-mail'

Peter Sant
KOOL R2

N8N
03-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I know that Ted Harbit had a bracket to add a small Japanese compressor to an R2 Avanti up in the "vee" of the engine at South Bend a couple years ago. I do not know who was making them, but Ted is a friendly sort and would probably tell you if/where you can get one if you ask.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

KOOL R2
03-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Nate.

The A/C bracket that you mention was made by Rogers Protofab in Trenton Ontario. It was the production model Stainless Steel casting
using the design that Ron and I developed for my set up. Ted was kind enough to display it on his table at South Bend
You can contact Ron Rogers at http:// www.rogersprotofab.com or e-mail him at rogersprotofab@sympatico.ca

Peter Sant
KOOL R2

floydjaehnert
03-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Gentlemen: I thank you for your responses to my inquiry about air-conditioning my R-2 Avanti,I am following up on them. I am sure these suggestions will be a big help. Floyd