This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeesh...what happened to this Hawk?

White paint covering putty? Too cheap to paint the whole car?

Macx

Man, that's an UGLY paint scheme[xx(] 37K miles - this time around.[}] Wonder what those floor pans and trunk pan look like under all that old covering. Having brought home MANY a Georgia Studebaker in my 14 years in that state, most of them had rusty floors because of the rain and humidity there - and that was over 25 years ago![:0][:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Somebody must have thought the two-tone would look good, but they wer color blind[xx(]. Well at least they didn't put some kind of shag carpet inside.

Rich Pease
      Ogden, UT
      59 Lark 2dr
      61 Lark 4dr

Comment

quote:Originally posted by richpease

Well at least they didn't put some kind of shag carpet inside.

Rich Pease
        Ogden, UT
        59 Lark 2dr
        61 Lark 4dr
        Be carefull...the Avanti II owners will take offense...
        (Shag was pretty much standard in them duriung the 70s....)

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It actually looks like that car was originally white, not green. Just someone with a misguided sense of style.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

They don't mention the incorrect seat upholstery, parking lights, headlight rims, wheelcovers, etc. or the serial number plate that was ripped off a car and screwed to this car.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've seen other attempts to two-tone a Hawk and I don't think any of them look better than awful. The lines of this body and trim location just do not lend itself to being two-toned. The seller says the 'inside is all original'! Someone needs to 'hit the books'. Looks like this car might make a fair parts car.

Tim K.
              '64 R2 GT Hawk
              Tim K.
              \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

This is really strange, I was on my way to pay my auto insurance just a few minutes ago and past a Stude. Hawk for sale. After I paid the premium I returned to look it over. It didn't look too bad, but I'm not in the market for another Stude. right now. When I got home I turned on the computor to check the goings on in Studeland and lo and behold heres the Same car. It doesn't look bad in person. Would most likely be a good driver. The color scheme really isn't that bad and the quality of the paint job is pretty good, body pretty straight. The carpet looks new, the seats look OK not torn, the door panels look kinda ratty as does the dash trim. Underhood looks like a cleanup with repainted valve covers [not a good job on them]. I think the price on the window was $8500.00 or so.

Darryl C. Lewallen
                Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Yeah, that serial number plate is real scary in my book. And $8500 seems way strong. And dealing with the DMV on getting a title when all your ducks may not be in a line but the "check's been cashed" is not an experience I want and sure don't need. Forty years of history is a long-long time in the life of some cars, as in "what do you mean that serial number is not right?"[V][V][V]

wagone

Comment

"all the numbers match" ... he forgot to follow with the word "now".[B)]

Tom

'63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Can anyone look up those numbers and see what comes up?

Comment

Hi MacMyers!

The numbers say:

62 = MY 1962
                        I can't read the next character on the foto: If it's a S, it means 170-ci-six cylinder, V means 259-ci-eight cylinder, P means 289-ci-eight cylinder.
                        The last five digits are the basic production number, starting with 10001/up.

More interesting to decode would be the Body number plate, but there is no picture of it on the auction.

Bjoern

Cruisin' through Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

Comment

Actually on the serial number tag, there's no "P" used; "S" means six cylinder (champion,) and "V" is used for all V-8s. I'm pretty sure that's a "V" in the photo, but a '62 GT would have a 289 not a 259.

The "S/V/P" system *was* used for the engine number up until '64.

S = Champion six
                          V = 259 (or 224/232 pre-56)
                          P = 289 (or 259 in '55)
                          JT = R1
                          JTS = R2

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          62 Daytona hardtop
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Hi N8N,

if I believe my "Standard Catalog of American Car ID Numbers", which normally is very reliable, it's like I said about the three letters on the serial tag. But: Maybe you're right, N8N, and the book has a mistake in it. I can't prove this in another way.

Bjoern

Cruisin' through Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

Comment

Nate's right. No Ps used on anything but the engines.

There WERE "C"s and "G"s in some serial numbers as well as "V"s & "S"s. G denoted a Champion for the span of Champion production and C was an indicator of a Canadian-built car after South Bend closed. The use of these letters in the serial number wasn't consistent across the years. Nor are the "rules" regarding how the letters apply to V8s consistent. "V" ends up designating 3 different displacements of the venerable Stude V8 thru it's lifetime. And P covers 2 different displacements thru it's use.
                              Then ,just to make things even a bit muddier, "C" & "L" & "R" & "S" AND "B"(!) are tossed in the mix to decode various V8s.[:0][}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X