This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear End Ratio Suggestions....

It runs and drives, but beyond 50 MPH the engine rev's get too "wound up". It has a OHV 6, FOM tranny and 3.73 model 27 rear end now. I want to be able to cruise easier with this, what rear end ratio should I put in it? I have a 3.31 TT 27 I'm thinking of swapping, is this a good choice? Will this give me acceptible engine rev's at hyway speeds? Never had a OHV with auto so I don't have much experience with what works.
    Thanks
    Kent

It'll be damn slow getting up to speed, not much power to spare for that high a rear gear.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kent

I just accuired a 62 daytona hardtop two door in a trade. It runs and drives, but beyond 50 MPH the engine rev's get too "wound up". It has a OHV 6, FOM tranny and 3.73 model 27 rear end now. I want to be able to cruise easier with this, what rear end ratio should I put in it? I have a 3.31 TT 27 I'm thinking of swapping, is this a good choice? Will this give me acceptible engine rev's at hyway speeds? Never had a OHV with auto so I don't have much experience with what works.
      Thanks
      Kent
      There are a bunch of RPM calculators out there. Here's one you can use...

You can certainly get your highway revs down with the higher ratio rear end, but as John says, you may then be disapointed in your acceleration. The manual three speed OD trans with some DEEP gears (4.11's or so) was a great combo for the little 6's.

-Dick-

-Dick-
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I vote keep the 3.73s and swap to an OD tranny...

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Actually....my flathead 6 Conestoga came with 4.86 gears and an overdrive 3 spd (manual 3 spd.). It worked great on the street and freeway....at least for the overall power of the engine!

I'd say you need at LEAST 4.11's and the O.D. trans.

Comment

Kent, I'd go ahead with the 3:31's in place of the 3:73's because the difference will only be about a half of a gear change; tranny-wise. You will notice a difference but it won't be huge. But if you put in an overdrive while keeping the 3:73's, you might experience lugging of the engine at highway speeds because that overdrive is like a whole gear change. Don't forget; you can always change tire sizes for minor differences in final drive ratio feel.

Comment

I'd keep the auto and drop down to either the 3.31 or a 3.54 . Trying to piece together a manual set up on a car with an auto is a pain in the...backside.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
              Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
              LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
              X