PDA

View Full Version : hitch in my get-along,,,

tirebiter4659
02-28-2006, 12:52 PM
the '50 truck I am working on right now has problems opening both doors,, the stiker looks like it is too low,, but the lock wheel seems to snag when opening. I'm on my second day of having the penetrating oil work on the screws on both,,, . I would think a few here have had this tribulation... How long on the penetrating oil?,, and any help on the latch mechanicals?

Thanx

N8N
02-28-2006, 01:08 PM
To loosen those screws you will likely need an impact driver, the kind that you hit with a hammer. If you have a good hardware store nearby they probably sell them for not a whole lot of $$.

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
02-28-2006, 01:22 PM
What often happens with these trucks is the lower hinge pin shears (cause it rusted) and this causes the door to not close right.[xx(] It WON'T flop around as much as you'd think with a sheared pin, but it'll give you grief!:(

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Champion51
02-28-2006, 01:37 PM
:)Had the same problem on my rear door recently. If the door is sitting squarely in the frame and "looks good", I would suggest you probably have to move the striker plate. With mine it was sheer persistence and grunt force. I changed over to a long shafted phillips with a rubber grip (Canadian Tire) with a head that truly snugged into the head of the phillips. This driver seemed to give me better torque. Found that once you reached your max torque you have to hold for a few seconds and try to give a little more. The screw should eventually break its freeze. Turns out easily after that. There's a plate behind the door pillar that floats around when the screws are out. Move your plate up, down and in or out screwing it on in the spot you think it should be just tight enough to hold it in place. Close door. You should find the door mechanism will move the striker into the place it's comfortable with. Open the door carefully, lifting up on handle so as not to have weight on striker and tighten the screws. Close door. If it works good, go in and tighten the screws to max torque. Otherwise keep adjusting the plate. PS: If you can't turn the screws out by hand, you'll need to borrow a hammer drill. Good luck. :D

Dave D.
'51 4-dr Champion
Smithers, B.C.
Canada

tirebiter4659
02-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks Guys,,,,

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/F4/28/12960756-f607-02000150-.jpg

rockne10
02-28-2006, 08:25 PM
I think that's what Jerry Kurtz's Coca-Cola truck looked like ten years ago. It would be nice to see another cabover resurrected.