PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer Installation

richpease
02-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Recently in a thread about clocks someone threw out the comment that they changed out their clock for a tach. I might be interested in doing that, I'm just wondering how to go about doing it. The main question I have is where the tach hooks up to the engine to report the revs.

Thanks.

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

Dick Steinkamp
02-27-2006, 10:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by richpease

Recently in a thread about clocks someone threw out the comment that they changed out their clock for a tach. I might be interested in doing that, I'm just wondering how to go about doing it. The main question I have is where the tach hooks up to the engine to report the revs.

Thanks.

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

A modern tack would hook up to the distributor side of the coil.

-Dick-

JDP
02-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Studebaker Tachs are a bit more complex if you are talking stock.63-64 Lark tachs wire to a sender, then to the engine. Budget around $300-$400 if you can find the parts needed. BTW, the wiring is different on the Avanti powered cars, as is the sender.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 Daytona Convert.

richpease
02-28-2006, 08:29 PM
If I do it, I'd use a modern tach. I saw quite a few at AutoZone that have the white face and black lettering that would be a close match for the stock gauges.;) So if I undertsand this right, I'd run the wire to the coil on the distributor side and I'm guessing it would be fairly obvious where it connects?

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

Dick Steinkamp
02-28-2006, 09:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by richpease

If I do it, I'd use a modern tach. I saw quite a few at AutoZone that have the white face and black lettering that would be a close match for the stock gauges.;) So if I undertsand this right, I'd run the wire to the coil on the distributor side and I'm guessing it would be fairly obvious where it connects?

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

I'm sure a new tach will come with instructions, but one wire will go to the small terminal on the coil that currently has the lead that goes to the distributor. You'll have other wires comming out of the tach. One will go to ground. One to the ignition switch, and one to the dash light switch/dimmer.

-Dick-

MarkC
03-01-2006, 01:03 AM
In that clock thread, I posted about putting a tach in a clock delete housing (64 Lark-type). I didn't post the picture right, but I can e-mail it to you if you want to see it. Dick is right about the wiring, as the tach I used had a color coded harness and instructions, and it was a snap. The illumination bulbs were hard wired, so I just colored them with a red Magic Marker.

MarkC, 64 Y8
Working in Spokane, WA

richpease
03-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Mark,

Would you send me a pic, I'd like to see how it turned out.

Thanks.

Rich

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr