PDA

View Full Version : Dana 44 posi unit..C clips?

prager
02-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Hello all, I have located a Auburn posi unit for my Dana 44. It says it is without C clips...?.. Are these the c clips that hold the axles in like a G.M.? Am I wrong to assume that this carrier will work? It is 19 spline..3.73 and down..I have 3.31's now..Thanks!!

N8N
02-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Can't give you a 100% that this unit will work for you, but I can tell you that there are no c-clips in a Stude rear end, the axles are held in by the brake backing plate.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

StudeRich
02-28-2006, 03:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by prager

Hello all, I have located a Auburn posi unit for my Dana 44. It says it is without C clips...?.. Are these the c clips that hold the axles in like a G.M.? Am I wrong to assume that this carrier will work? It is 19 spline..3.73 and down..I have 3.31's now..Thanks!!

The new Auburns have the wrong number of splines to fit your axle, they fit late model Jeeps. You can use their ring and pinion, but not the TT case.

StudeRich
Ferndale, WA

prager
03-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Rich, I'm not sure what you mean about the fit in the case..The one I was looking at is 19 spline. Is the carrier too large to fit in the housing? Thanks!!

Swifster
03-01-2006, 03:32 PM
The modern Dana 44 axle assemblies used in late model Jeeps is a completely different beast than the old '44' used by Studebaker. Those Auburn units are made for newer Jeeps to go off-raoding with. As mentioned, I doubt they'll fit the Studebaker housing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com

N8N
03-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Might want to get in touch with Phil Harris; if you're going to pump some serious HP through a Dana 44 you probably want to consider some of the Moser-made flanged axles that he sells and if a newer Auburn unit will physically fit in a Stude axle housing, you may want to look into the possibility of having your flanged axles made with a different spline on the inside. I don't know if you can work a deal like that, or if what I am suggesting is physically possible, but it can't hurt to ask.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

prager
03-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys!! I guess I need to do a little more looking around..The engine is not a super beast, no blower etc..probably 375 horse...I'm sure the axles will hold, as I don't plan to torture them daily...I would like to have posi trac, but I guess if it's gonna be a ton of money..I'll just wait until I can find a TT rear down the line...Thanks again!!

1956 Hawk
03-03-2006, 06:18 PM
I am running an Auburn posi in my Hawk. Put it in there about two years ago so I don't remember how many splines the Studebaker has. I think it is 19 and the new jeeps use 32. The only thing I had to change to get it to fit is that the inner bearings are a different diameter so you have to get the ones for a jeep. Also make sure you get the right carrier for your 3.31 gears. I think 3.73 and down means 3.92 and 4.11. You probably need the 3.54 and up carrier. By the way be careful with this set up in wet weather. I have got my Hawk sideways quite a few times when I stand on it.

prager
03-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Hawk, thanks for the info...Do you remember who you got the parts from? Also how much of a pain was it to change out? Thanks!!

1956 Hawk
03-04-2006, 12:12 PM
prager, I got the Auburn unit from a 4x4 site on the internet, don't remember which one. The inner bearings and cover seal, which are the only parts you need, you can get from any local autoparts store. Changing it is an easy one day swap. Just follow the instuctions that come from Auburn.