This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior Paint Color Question

Anyone have the paint codes for the 61 yellow used on Larks? If not, would it be reasonable to expect that a competent paint shop could match the original color from say the interior of the trunk? Unfortunately my 61 has been painted a green metal flake on the outside and if you can believe it a rocket scientist sprayed over the interior in black - door panels, handles, trim, everything.[}] I think it was originally brown and tan.

Rich Pease
    Ogden, UT
    59 Lark 2dr
    61 Lark 4dr

An auto paint supply shop should have a device that can scan a smooth clean surface and supply a code. It will, however, be the closest match they can attain within their existing library. If the formula calls for any pearl, for instance, you should consider deleting that from the mix.

You can also check www.autocolorlibrary.com
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks. Would most auto body shops have that or just an auto paint store?

Rich Pease
      Ogden, UT
      59 Lark 2dr
      61 Lark 4dr

Comment

Rich, usually it's the paint store or the manufacturer's rep for the paint to be used (like PPG, Sherman-Williams, etc.). This was done on a '69 Valiant I had because the shop used Sikkens products and Sikkens didn't have the formula for the old Chysler B5 blue. It worked great except that B5 blue was a metalic color and the batch they made up was a solid blue (to be fair, it actually looked nicer that way). Sikkens is also a base coat / clear coat system, so the paint was extremely glossy compaired to the rest of the car.

It depends on the system used as well. Some, like Sikkens, only make a BC/CC paint. Others like PPG, can still make paint based on older formulas if you prefer an older type enamel finish. I like the BC/CC finishes because of the gloss and durability, but it will be more expensive and will definitely look a little different when parked next to another '61 car with an original finish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
        Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
        LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Many high-end shops may have their own scanner. If you're going to spray it yourself you'll need to go to the paint supplier.
          If the spray shop is going to the trouble of identifying your paint, they are, understandably, going to want to be rewarded by collecting for a paint job, and will only stand behind it if they do all the prepwork.

The two-man shop I work with mixes their own paint and does not have the scanner but, the supplier from whom they purchase all their base and pigments is only too happy to come to the shop and scan anytime they request it.
          Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I looked at the Auto Color Library and I found the original color of my car - Suntone

Next question, would I just give this info to the prospective paint shop and they'll know how to get it? Also, which of the paint types that AutoColorLibrary offers is the type to get?

Rich Pease
            Ogden, UT
            59 Lark 2dr
            61 Lark 4dr

Comment

The original codes on the chipsheets are for PPG Ditzler. It looks like the Suntone code is P-6117. If the shop you're using prefers Ditzler they may be able to find the formula from their supplier, or not.

The man holding the spraygun will want to paint the brand and paint base he's familiar with, along with it's commensurate preparatory materials, thinners, hardeners, etc.

Unless your planning on doing it yourself, it would probably be best to find the painter whose work you admire, show him what you want, the homework you've done and rely on his judgement and reputation.

It should also be noted than when paints are being mixed, some of the pigments added to a gallon can are measured in hundredths of a gram and a single portion of a drop of something will change the suntone yellow to jonquil yellow. Sometimes damn near perfect is better than one can expect.

I've been told ACL's paint pricing is high and, unless it's what your painter prefers, IMHO I'd use it as an information resource rather than a supplier.
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X