PDA

View Full Version : Oil Fill Location on 259

richpease
02-27-2006, 01:09 AM
As I've mentioned I have a 59 and 61 Lark. When I was younger my dad put a 259 in the 59 that came from a 62 or 63. The oil fill is in the front center of the block. On my 61, there is no tube, only a cap on the drivers side valve cover. Is this a design change that happened after 61? I know that most of the Larks I saw in Spokane had the oil fill in the same place as my 59 so I'm wondering if the previos owner of my 61 modified the engine somehow when he had it rebuilt. Thoughts[?]

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

N8N
02-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Sounds like the '61 engine might really be a later full flow engine, does it have the oil filter down low on the pass. side rear of the block?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

StudHawk60
02-27-2006, 05:49 AM
My 60 Hawk has a full flow engine that was built in Oct 63. Does that make it a 64? It has no oil filler tube, I add oil thru the valve cover. Do all full flow engines have no oil filler tube? Also were these engines built this way at the factory? Sorry for all the questions, but one more: Were all the engines eventually built as full flow, or was that an option?[:p]

N8N
02-27-2006, 05:51 AM
the full flow block was introduced in mid-'62 and from then on all engines were full flow. At the same time the oil fill tube was discontinued and oil was added through one of the breathers in the valve covers. Not sure about your particular engine whether it'd be a '63 or '64, but it doesn't really matter I don't think, they are pretty much the same anyway.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

StudHawk60
02-27-2006, 06:15 AM
Oops, brain cramp.[B)] I knew my engine is a 64. (s/n PK303)

Roscomacaw
02-27-2006, 11:59 AM
As Nate says, with the intro of the full-flo engine in mid-62, the oil filler tube (and it's breather/filler cap) at the front of the engine was eliminated (in no small part because this tube doubled as the oil filter mounting point on the partial flow filter equipped engines and was no longer necessary with the change to a full-flo filter that mounts down on the R/H side of the cylinder block). Instead, breather/oil-filler caps were added to both valve covers.
But ALL Stude valve covers will swap from one V8 ('51 thru'64) to another and lots of that has happened thru the years.
That single valve cover with a cap was probably added by someone as a matter of convenience or preference. It's doubtful it would have come from the factory like that.:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

curt
02-27-2006, 08:11 PM
My V8 block was cast in Dec 1963. It was in my 1955 President when purchased last spring. I have the filler tube on the tree/filler/filter in the front of the block as it was in 1955. The filter is not connected and the full flow oil filter is functional. I have solid valve covers with four bolt-holes per valve cover, no filler openings on the valve covers. I assume this was done to look original, I assume the one vented oil filler tube cover is enough ventalation for the crank case.It runs fine as it now stands.

richpease
02-27-2006, 09:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

Sounds like the '61 engine might really be a later full flow engine, does it have the oil filter down low on the pass. side rear of the block?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

Nate,

Yes the oil filter is where you said it would be. Does the full-flow improve lubrication v. partial flow?

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

richpease
02-27-2006, 09:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

As Nate says, with the intro of the full-flo engine in mid-62, the oil filler tube (and it's breather/filler cap) at the front of the engine was eliminated (in no small part because this tube doubled as the oil filter mounting point on the partial flow filter equipped engines and was no longer necessary with the change to a full-flo filter that mounts down on the R/H side of the cylinder block). Instead, breather/oil-filler caps were added to both valve covers.
But ALL Stude valve covers will swap from one V8 ('51 thru'64) to another and lots of that has happened thru the years.
That single valve cover with a cap was probably added by someone as a matter of convenience or preference. It's doubtful it would have come from the factory like that.:)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

So is it likely that when the engine was rebuilt that the valve cover without the fill tube replaced the original? I would imagine its just a question of cosmetics. [?] Were the factory caps chrome or is that probably an add on too?

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr

StudeRich
02-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Yes Rich. the oil caps on '63-'64's were red/orange close to (Cvhey):D orange with a blue & white "add STP at every oil change" band (sticker)around it. Did you buy that dark blue '61 Cruiser on e-bay? that car had many non original mods including a '63 complete front clip. with mis-matched side mouldings. RG

So is it likely that when the engine was rebuilt that the valve cover without the fill tube replaced the original? I would imagine its just a question of cosmetics. [?] Were the factory caps chrome or is that probably an add on too?

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr
[/quote]

StudeRich
Ferndale, WA

N8N
02-28-2006, 05:46 AM
Rich,

the "full flow" block doesn't really improve lubrication any, what it does is provides a provision for a modern oil filter setup so that if the worst happens and stuff gets into your oil pan that isn't supposed to be there, it won't get pumped through the whole engine. But it does have some other subtle oiling system improvements like a relocated/enlarged drain hole in the lifter valley, stuff like that.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I might try to track down another valve cover with a breather stack just so the engine matched side to side :)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

richpease
02-28-2006, 10:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Yes Rich. the oil caps on '63-'64's were red/orange close to (Cvhey):D orange with a blue & white "add STP at every oil change" band (sticker)around it. Did you buy that dark blue '61 Cruiser on e-bay? that car had many non original mods including a '63 complete front clip. with mis-matched side mouldings. RG

StudeRich
Ferndale, WA

No, I didn't buy the eBay Cruiser. I actually bought mine last summer from a guy in Medical Lake while I was at the SDC Meet. I was looking for an engine donor for my 59 and this guy had advertised in TW as well as the local paper asking $1,000. I got my dad to talk him down to $500 and then I had Viril Layton (who owns the 62 Police Cruiser in the March TW) tow it back to Ogden for me. Only after I bought it did I find out that it was a bit more work than I bargained for to move the engine (going from a manual to an automatic) and that the fender I thought I'd get in the bargain was longer from top to bottom and would need to be modified. All of this (and some prodding from my wife) has led me to abandon the 59 and restore the 61 instead. It appears that I have chosen to work on a rarer Lark than I thought as I have notice both you and Mr. Biggs comment on the scarcity of the 61 Cruiser. This only makes me feel better about the car and its potential for turning heads when its done.;) I'll admit that I'm not going for a show or concours car, but I will have fun cruisin in my Cruiser and I know that in about 8 years when my son wants a car to drive I can rent him a classic, safe car for dates.:D

Rich Pease
Ogden, UT
59 Lark 2dr
61 Lark 4dr