This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Stamping Plant

I was just wondering if anyone, who lives in the South Bend area, was able to photograph the demolition of the Studebaker stamping plant which was supposed to occur today.
    I know that the building is a part of history, but I also understand that the building was in very poor shape.
    Rog

Not to worry. With all the publicity, there were LOTS of people taking photos of the demolition. I know of one South Bend friend who was for sure taking the day or afternoon off to shoot some photos. I'm sure it will be in The South Bend Tribune Saturday; possibly go to their website Saturday morning and see what they published. This was a BIG event with much publicity and promotion, so it will have been well recorded. [V] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It's just a bunch of decrepit old buildings, right? Yet, when the demo guys go home and the cold February night blankets the place, where will the ghosts of all those who toiled there go?
      Where will Art and Bob and Herman go to talk about what an asshole that foreman Faraday is? Where will the echoing clang of a press spitting out a freshly minted fender drift off to? What about the locker room where the guys would change outta their overalls and propose stopping at the Starlight Bar before they went home to thier wives and kiddies? Nothing but memories and a few archival photographs will document the vibrance and pride that once made the place one of the vital organs of South Bend.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There were approx 100 people in attendance. Most were from the city, const co., politicos, and press. Not many Studebaker folks. A little "brisk" but there was a warming tent with lots of goddies to eat and "free" bricks that were labeled with a special commemorative card. See photos at: http://community.webshots.com/album/547962353VaEDlS

R. Quinn
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Richard,
          Thanks for the pix. Much appreciated. Next time I'm in South Bend, I need to see the site of the building.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
          X