Studebaker Mania Why does it Exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Mania Why does it Exist?

Going back thru all my Turning Wheels. Looking and reading. There is a article in Febuary 1985 page 3 by Fred K. Fox. STUDEBAKER MANIA Why does it exist? I think this article should be ran again or a copy of it given to each new mwmber who join the SDC. It's one of those articles that really gets you fired up about SDC and Studebakers. Just a thought

[img=left]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/wagon56/49.jpg[/img=left] 48 7G-Q1 49 2R12 51 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

I have no idea why Studebaker and the mania exist, but I know why I like them.

My grandad farmed and bought only Studes until they went out - I was around them all the time.
    Also, our neighbor had a blue '51 bulletnose - I used to sit in front of it and imagine those fenders as wings w/motors and the bullet as the cockpit.

I was really into planes as a kid (I'm from Wichita where we make 60 percent of the commercial planes in the world.) I could name the aircraft type by the motor sound before the jet age.

Chris Pile
    The Studebaker Special
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I have no idea why Studebaker and the mania exist, but I know why I like them.

My grandad farmed and bought only Studes until they went out - I was around them all the time.
      Also, our neighbor had a blue '51 bulletnose - I used to sit in front of it and imagine those fenders as wings w/motors and the bullet as the cockpit.

I was really into planes as a kid (I'm from Wichita where we make 60 percent of the commercial planes in the world.) I could name the aircraft type by the motor sound before the jet age.

Chris Pile
      The Studebaker Special
      Midway Chapter SDC
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Studemania exists for me because I'm a car nut, who is addicted to old cars, but in particular, orphan cars. I would be a car nut no matter what, but instead of liking the usual chevy's, fords, and chyrsler products, I ended up liking the odd ball stuff, so to speak. My love of orphan cars may have started out with our family's 1959 Rambler wagon. Then my dad bought a brand new '66 rambler, and another new one in '68. And the first car I ever owned was a mid 50's stude 4dr of some kind. Cars have always been in my blood, and always will be. This addiction gets me into trouble most of the time, but it does have it's good moments. At one point I even tried not to like old cars or have anything to do with them. That was the worst time in my life. I succumbed back into the addiction knowing that I will never be able to be rid of it this side of heaven.
        Recently I have even expanded my sickness by getting into pro cars with the purchase of an ambulance, and now a hearse. I have no idea where this car nut thing will end up taking me, but the ride along the way is much like a roller coaster. Death is the only cure, and I'm not looking for the cure any time soon.

Comment

Studemania exists for me because I'm a car nut, who is addicted to old cars, but in particular, orphan cars. I would be a car nut no matter what, but instead of liking the usual chevy's, fords, and chyrsler products, I ended up liking the odd ball stuff, so to speak. My love of orphan cars may have started out with our family's 1959 Rambler wagon. Then my dad bought a brand new '66 rambler, and another new one in '68. And the first car I ever owned was a mid 50's stude 4dr of some kind. Cars have always been in my blood, and always will be. This addiction gets me into trouble most of the time, but it does have it's good moments. At one point I even tried not to like old cars or have anything to do with them. That was the worst time in my life. I succumbed back into the addiction knowing that I will never be able to be rid of it this side of heaven.
          Recently I have even expanded my sickness by getting into pro cars with the purchase of an ambulance, and now a hearse. I have no idea where this car nut thing will end up taking me, but the ride along the way is much like a roller coaster. Death is the only cure, and I'm not looking for the cure any time soon.

Comment

I was looking for a cross between a 'Vette and T-Bird in 1966, and the mention of GT Hawk got my memory going, my bank accont flatter and my list of friends longer.

It's the people, not just the metal, in most cares.

Karl

Comment

I was looking for a cross between a 'Vette and T-Bird in 1966, and the mention of GT Hawk got my memory going, my bank accont flatter and my list of friends longer.

It's the people, not just the metal, in most cares.

Karl

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that the only explanation is the one my wife gives me.

"You are nuts."

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that the only explanation is the one my wife gives me.

"You are nuts."

Comment

I tell people I don't know why it exists. I know it exists and sometimes I wish it didn't (not often), but I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with the history, the unusualness of the cars, the comparitive rarity (when compared to the big three) or maybe just because it's different.

In fact, if "different by design" had been stamped on my head in the womb I would not be a bit surprised. Was that being used in 1961 when that's where I was? Maybe I heard some commercial in there and it just stuck!
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I tell people I don't know why it exists. I know it exists and sometimes I wish it didn't (not often), but I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with the history, the unusualness of the cars, the comparitive rarity (when compared to the big three) or maybe just because it's different.

In fact, if "different by design" had been stamped on my head in the womb I would not be a bit surprised. Was that being used in 1961 when that's where I was? Maybe I heard some commercial in there and it just stuck!
                      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Pckstude writes: "Recently I have even expanded my sickness by getting into pro cars with the purchase of an ambulance, and now a hearse. I have no idea where this car nut thing will end up taking me, but the ride along the way is much like a roller coaster."

Sounds like you've got it all planned out to me! You've got the ambulance to run you TO the hospital and the hearse to take you FROM the hospital.[:0][xx(]

I'm "addicted" - no doubt about that. But even tho I may occasionally joke about being buried in a Stude, my only real desire is to drive them.
                        Whatever happens to what Studes are in my command at the time of my passing will likely be up to someone else's whim. And I won't be around to protest the results![^]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Pckstude writes: "Recently I have even expanded my sickness by getting into pro cars with the purchase of an ambulance, and now a hearse. I have no idea where this car nut thing will end up taking me, but the ride along the way is much like a roller coaster."

Sounds like you've got it all planned out to me! You've got the ambulance to run you TO the hospital and the hearse to take you FROM the hospital.[:0][xx(]

I'm "addicted" - no doubt about that. But even tho I may occasionally joke about being buried in a Stude, my only real desire is to drive them.
                          Whatever happens to what Studes are in my command at the time of my passing will likely be up to someone else's whim. And I won't be around to protest the results![^]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Just look through the "Members Studebakers" section........THATS WHY !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                            (formerly chevpartsman)
                            1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                            Lewisville,NC

Comment

Just look through the "Members Studebakers" section........THATS WHY !

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                              (formerly chevpartsman)
                              1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                              Lewisville,NC

Comment

Working...
                              X