PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problem, 50 Champ

chrysleritis
02-23-2006, 05:14 PM
I tore down my starter motor (Autolite on a 50 Champion). It didn't seem to be drawing enough current despite fresh cables and connections, and wasn't turning the engine over. It was really dirty, needed some fresh lube on the bendix, coat of paint on the outside, clean the terminals thoroughly. The armature looked very good. Plenty of life left on the brushes, commutator bushing fine, windings sound, etc. But I put it back together and it's developed a short somewhere, I think. In a bench test, it draws way too much current now and it doesn't spin, but obviously turns freely by hand. What did I foul up? What should I check?

JDP
02-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Make sure one of the brush wires is not shorted to the case.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 GT Hawk
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 Daytona Convert.
53 Street rod

chrysleritis
02-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Turned out that the screw holding the solenoid to the outside of the case was too long -- it was protruding through the case and shorting a field winding to the case. You know, you tear these things down, put all the hardware in a cup or something, and then it's impossible to remember whether the shorter screw went here or there. Anyway, tracked it down, fixed it. Runs good on the bench now.