PDA

View Full Version : How to replace V8 valve guides?

pszikszai
02-22-2006, 09:16 AM
I am working on a V8 head that needs the guides replaced.
I do have new valve guides, but I never attempted a replacement.
Has anyone replaced them and how?
I do not have the tools that the shop manual illustrates.
Thanks
Paul
pszikszai@aol.com

JDP
02-22-2006, 10:00 AM
It might be cheaper to buy NOS heads from SASCO if he still has them.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 GT Hawk
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 Daytona Convert.
53 Street rod

Mike Van Veghten
02-22-2006, 10:35 AM
A press works best, but they can be hammered out with an air impact hammer.
Either way a tool will need to be made that is a few thousands smaller thAn the outside diameter and a coupla thousands smaller thAn the guide bore. This tool should be made to withstand the load of which ever way you plan on doing the work.

That said, since you have to do guide/valve work afterward....I'd let the shop you are using for that work do the guides too. They aren't normally a push in and run. The I.D.'s need checking per the valve diameter, the seats need to be ground per the new guide location, etc., etc.

Overall...it's not a difficult job. Just be sure the height in the head is correct or you'll have retainer to guide interference and big problems.

Alan
02-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Paul, You did not give much info. Such as where you are near and what heads you are trying to fix? (the casting no.). Do you have the guides allready or you going to have to purchase them?

pszikszai
02-22-2006, 03:38 PM
I have my own guides, and I am doing my own valve job.
I beat out one guide.
Put it on an old valve, gound the outside diameter of the guide a little smaller and I am able to beat out the old and beat in the new.
It is not as smooth of an operation as I hoped for but I am already
finished with one head. I am working on a 61-64 lark V8 head.

Mike Van Veghten
02-22-2006, 04:01 PM
You aren't grinding the new guides correct?

You also should check the id to stem clearances before you start the seat grinding.

Put the guides into the freezer for a few hours and the head into the oven (!), shrink and enlarge the respective parts to help with the assembly.

curt
02-24-2006, 08:14 AM
Is this a situation where the new guides can be packed on dry ice before insertion? Cold will shrink the guides and should make it easier to put cold guides into a warm head.