This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your wisdom

Can you guys tell me why the blue one is worth so much less than the gold one and if you would consider buying said blue one?

Maybe because the gold one has just had a "professional restoration".

Matthew Burnette, the 15 year old Stude nut.
    [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/yelstude2.jpg [/img]
    63 Daytona HT (my car)
    57 Silver Hawk
    51 Champ Starlight
    63 GT Hawk
    64 Commander Wagonaire
    59 Scotsman P/U
    79 Dodge Lil Red Express
    65 Triumph Spitfire
    MANY more Studes
    And a few parts cars

Comment

GTs are very undervalued.

They are a nice car, and should be worth (in terms of looks, driveability and rareness) more than many muscle cars. I see lots of authenticity problems with both of these, but they both appear to be very solid. Bear in mind that a good restoration of a good car can easily cost $20,000 - that doesn't mean that its worth any more - it could even be less if not done properly.

The blue one has an incorrect hood ornament, but appears to be the most original with the correct-looking unrestored motor and colours.
      The gold one appears to be the wrong gold colour, the engine compartment has some wrong colours and the dashboard has been reworked to put in a smaller aftermarket tachometer. (Blue one does not have a tachometer - I thought they were pretty standard with 4 speeds). Seats look good in the gold one but are not original in appearance.

Given the difference in $, my choice would be the blue one - but I already have a red one. And of course, you should inspect and drive it and be happy.

Paul R

Comment

The blue one is a mess. The fenders wer replaced, but they left the top fender stainless off and the wheel well trim is missing as is other trim. It has a 64 hood ornament screwed on top the hood.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 GT Hawk
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Daytona Convert.
        53 Street rod
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Would I consider buying the blue one? No. It has been altered too much for my taste and I would not want to go to the time and trouble to undo all that some misguided person did. As far as that goes the gold one is the same kind of thing. I think if a car looks basically authentic/original it should go all the way. Performance upgrades are more acceptable than putting a bright shiny overlay and new gauges on a dash, which to me looks like they were just to lazy to redo the original components. Why not look at something like this listing which will probably sell for less than half the price and in many ways is twice the car that either of these is. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-...QQcmdZViewItem At any rate there are many more to choose from.

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:
            Can you guys tell me why the blue one is worth so much less than the gold one and if you would consider buying said blue one?
            The blue one is not worth that much less than the gold one... by a long shot! Neither of them are worth the prices being asked. Remember, prices in ads are asking prices, I would guess neither of them will sell for anything close. Would I buy the gold one? Not at that price!!

Dave's Place
            Studebaker Emporium
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Geez - look at that blue one! Not only did they leave the stainless off the front fenders, but they painted the rear fender stainless - body color! It looks like everything forward of the pot metal dog legs was left stainless as an attempt to "frame" the side windows. Weirdly trimmed car.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I don't know what you guys are complaining about the Blue Mist Hawk. He distinctly says it is 99% complete. That means if a 1963 Hawk is made up of 13,240 individual parts (just a random guess), this car is only missing 132 parts...like the front wheel opening moldings, for example! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, That is certainly one way to look at it, but not at those prices [:0]

Studebaker Fever
                  60 Lark
                  51 Champion
                  Phil

Studebaker Fever
                  60 Lark
                  56 Power Hawk
                  Phil Hendrickson
                  Arnold, Missouri

Comment

Anyone live close enough to the car in GTtim's post to take a look and report?
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

The gold one has whitewall tires. This makes a big difference in resale value. []

Comment

Well, at least I could increase it's value with a set of whitewalls. Good to know! I'm going to put some on my son's P.O.S. 2000 Dodge Neon before I trade it in!

I'll write off the blue one. I'm looking for a driver I can work on a bit, but I have a limited budget and tendonitis in my hands that makes it hard to turn wrenches any more (or hold my wang to pee for that matter). I need a pretty rust free start. Anyone know what it costs to ship a car to Central Florida from California? I don't even know a hauler I'd trust. Course... I just moved here so I don't know anything about anything anyway.

Thanks for all of the info. I've been watching the black Hawk on Ebay as well. It may make more sense to have the rust fixed, replace the interior and fix the air and exhaust than to buy an 11k crapmobile with weird front fenders (probably been wrecked?").

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Mac

Comment

I like the fact that the gold one is listed as "one of a kind".

Good thing they have two of them for sale.

Comment

MacMyers wrote:

quote:I'll write off the blue one. I'm looking for a driver I can work on a bit, but I have a limited budget and tendonitis in my hands that makes it hard to turn wrenches any more (or hold my wang to pee for that matter). I need a pretty rust free start. Anyone know what it costs to ship a car to Central Florida from California? I don't even know a hauler I'd trust. Course... I just moved here so I don't know anything about anything anyway.
                            E-mail me off line about a GT I have here.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                            64 GT Hawk
                            64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                            63 Daytona Convert.
                            53 Street rod
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

ddub,

The car in GTtim's post is about 50 yards from where I set at the moment.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X