PDA

View Full Version : Mold



royvaldez
02-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Hello, I was 2 weeks late. A couple in my area gave 2 1950 starlites to someone in Yuba City. Anyway, I went ahead and purchased her other vintage 1950 cars. The one's I purchased were 1950 Pontiac 2 door Streamliners at a good price. Therfore, I need help from this forum. One of the cars has mold. How do I kill it.

I bought the cars as an investment. I still own my stude's.

DilloCrafter
02-19-2006, 07:10 PM
You can kill mold with bleach, and with UVC radiation (Ultra-Violet light, C wavelength type). Or, look in the Old Testament book of Leviticus for the prescribed method of having a priest inspect it and treat it with hyssop. Problem is, if he can't get rid of the mold, the priest will probably tell you the car will have to be disassembled, stone by stone. ;)


http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter


1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

royvaldez
02-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Does that mean I can use Sun light to kill mold?

DilloCrafter
02-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Yes, sunlight can do it, but the mold must be directly exposed to the light, since the UV-C rays don't bounce around into shaded areas.

I suggest buying a UV-C fluorescent lamp (do a web search for G15T8, it's an 18" lamp that you can get for around $15), and install it in an inexpensive under-cabinet type portable fixture (around $8 at your big box home center store).

When you're done killing the mold in your car, you can use the lamp inside your air return, to kill mold spores that make it through your return air filter. The lamp loses its effectiveness in approximately one year of constant use.

To read about the mold-killing effectiveness of such a light, check this web page at Dr. Roby's site:
http://www.onlineallergycenter.com/killingmolds/
Just don't buy the one he offers in his online store unless you like spending $100 for what you could get for around $30 total.

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter


1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

royvaldez
02-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Thank you for the needed information. Roy

DilloCrafter
02-19-2006, 09:44 PM
One caveat about those UV-C lamps, though: The UV-C radiation will fade fabric, and will break down plastic, the same way direct sunlight will do. And, seriously, do NOT look directly at the light from one of those lamps, as it WILL damage your retina.

http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter


1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
[i]The Red-Headed Amazon

rockne10
02-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Bleach, UV light, professional upholstery cleaners can all aid in making these cars habitable but a single mold spore not killed can lie dormant until humidity swathes it in glorious reproduction.

They live not only in the upholstery and vent ducts but also in the plastics, vinyls and rubber components.

Humidity control is recommended but too dry is also not good.

What temperature and humidity levels do our members suggest for optimal storage?

Get them out and drive them. Expose them to the daylight and full engine temperature. That's a sure bet but, when in storage, what's recommended?[?]