• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got gas!

So should I add lead to the gas?

And why?

Or does it run fine with unleaded?

All the Studebakers I've known, from 31 to 66, have had no problems with unleaded gas.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Dan,
      What model of Stude do you drive?

Comment

49 4-door champain.....................

And Uhh......... I dont drive it yet!! well I did a bit before I stuck it in the garage for a make-over.

The body needs Very little and I had it running and driving it around the block er-2 .. untill the brake line broke.

Comment

OOooppps......

sometimes it's a "Cham - Pain "

but mostly it's a Champion .. LOL

Comment

You should be fine with unleaded in your car.
            The tetraethyl lead is used to lubricate the valve seats to prevent valve recession. Newer engines that are designed for unleaded gasoline have hardened seats to take the lack of tetraethyl lead into account. Studebaker valve seats were of prettty high density, so unless you are towing, or lugging the engine under a high load for long periods of time,you will probably take decades to get enough wear to warrant replacing the valve seats (considering our limited use). Put unleaded gas into it and drive!
            One thing to consider, is adding a quart of diesel fuel per tankful of gasoline. The added cetane will help prevent spark knock, and the top lube will help to prevent vapor lock on hot days. I bought a gallon gas can and fill it with diesel. Saved my oil change quart bottles, and re-filled them with diesel. Keep one or two in the trunk for trips.
            Works great!
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Dan0

So should I add lead to the gas?

And why?

Or does it run fine with unleaded?
            DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
            Ocala, FL.
            '37 Coupe Express
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer
            '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

never heard of addded die. to gas ..........wonder if it will work on my FORD pic'em up trk.?

Comment

Dan,

You should have zero problems with your '49 on todays pump gas....if you had an R-1 in a late model Stude..then I'd say you would need all the help you could get.

BTW, Ethyl Corporation approves of only one leaded concentrate that is not "snake oil" and actually does what it claims..Torco Race Fuels..specificly the leaded "Accelerator" sold in qts, and five gallon pails.

Comment

The metal in the V-8 head seat area must be above average. Had a head valve job done recently. Watched the machinist cut the seat and he was very impressed at the hardness of the seat area. It did not cut like any soft stuff iron.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers
                  Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

The "diesel in fuel" issue was discussed in a previous thread (dealing with fuel boiling or vapour lock, as I recall). One member provided a very good explanation about why modern fuels have lower boiling points as they have "single chain hydrocarbons".
                    Anyhow, the upshot was that by adding a bit of diesel which contains "multi-linked hydrocarbons chains" you'd raise the fuel boiling point.
                    That's what I can recall, at any rate.
                    /H

Comment

That is very interesting!!

Comment

Working...
                      X