PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Hawk emergeecy brake & exh routing info

chevpartsman
02-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I am trying to "get the problems fixed" on recently purchased 1961 Hawk. I have all the manuals and the info I nedd is just not there.PLEASE I NEED SOME DETAILED INFO !The front floors have been replaced and in the process the front emergency brake cable housing is no longer attached to anything. i need need detailed info as to exactly where and how to mount it and also how to reinstall the handle pawl and spring which came out when the handle was pulled all the way out of its housing under the dash.I also need to know about the drivers side exhaust pipe routing. Right now it is under the crossmember and is very low since there is no notch in the crossmember on that side.Is it supposed to be over the crossmemer? The hillholder valve is right there so it would be close.Also what size are these pipes supposed to be? I would have thought 2" but these seem to be 1 7/8" ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED ! THANKS,Ken

1961 HAWK..BLACK.. 4bc,4-speed,TT

N8N
02-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Ken,

the e-brake is supposed to be held to the floor by a little U-bolt and metal plate in the area of the gas pedal. If you don't get any pics by tomorrow I will try to remember to shoot some pics of my '55 coupe for you (no carpet installed, so you can see what I'm talking about.)

As for the exhaust, yes it goes over the x-member on the driver's side. Easiest thing to do would be to simply buy a pair of pipes from Don Simmons (Silvertone Exhaust) in Canada. His pipes are exact duplicates of the originals but are stainless steel so you can be fairly sure they will last as long as you own your car. He will sell individual pieces but if all of the exhaust is questionable might as well just bite the bullet and buy the whole thing. This way not only will it be all nice but if you ever damage a part you can be sure that you will be able to get replacements, as everything he sells is 100% interchangeable with the original parts.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

chevpartsman
02-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Nate,
Thanks for the reply.I would like to have a photo of "how its supposed to be".Do you know anything about the handle end of it?I have no idea how it goes back together.Thanks for the advice on Silvertone Exhaust.I had wanted to know how accurate it was.Thats my next step after I get the e-brake working.
thanks,
Ken
chevpartsman@alltel.net

1961 HAWK..BLACK.. 4bc,4-speed,TT

N8N
02-18-2006, 07:08 PM
I'll take some pics tomorrow, I will be under the car trying to duplicate the fuel tank to union hard line (mine's got a nasty crimp in it that I just discovered; you can't see it unless you remove the metal cover over the pedals/master cylinder. Hopefully this will solve my hard starting problem and make life a little easier on my fuel pump) so it should be no sweat. I have a "correct" exhaust on mine too, not identical to yours but similar (actually pass. side is later than yours, driver's side is earlier... there's a reason for that, and it's called my car is a mutt.)

As for the handle end, you just kind of have to play with it, I've put new springs in those before and it's a biatch. The key is, to disassemble you drive the little pin that sticks up through the slot in the housing out with a pin punch, then you can completely disassemble the whole thing. I will try to get some pics of the handle assembly as well if you're curious as to how the spring/pawl should be when it's correctly installed, but no guarantees as my good digicam is DOA and my old one ain't the greatest (actually lost it for about a year, discovered it firmly wedged under the passenger seat of my old beater Porsche. It's amazing it still works, but pic quality leaves something to be desired...)

BTW congrats on the find, I would LOVE to have a black '61 power pack 4-speed. Actually I could have had one a while back, JP found one in a warehouse up near the PA border, but it was too far gone to consider restoring. Was damn painful to look at. Only factory combo of the pretty early body style and 4-speed, and black is my favorite color for a C-K.

I know Lee D. has probably cut that car up by now. I don't want to think about that too much (moment of silence please)

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

N8N
02-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Ken,

drop me an email if you want pics... they're big so I figured I'd check before sending. I'm running out of web space and don't feel like rearranging tonight...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop