shipping parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipping parts?

Queston for you full and part time vendors. What and who is the prefered way to ship and do the UPS store's charge a healthy premium as compared to going to a UPS main or depot.
    I just shipped a ross steering gear no jacket or wheel just the gear and shaft and had to pay $45 from AZ to Florda UPS grnd
    Thanks for the info
    Russ (part time loose money parts vendor) [V]

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

My experience has been the UPS stores do charge a premium. I just sent a package to Ohio from Houston US Mail via UPS store. $3.59. My customer sent it back (same package)US Mail via the post office $1.58. Now I sent the same package both ways (ups and ups store) and it was only about $2.50 higher ($40.00 cost)from UPS store. Go figure!!!!!!!

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

My experience has been the UPS stores do charge a premium. I just sent a package to Ohio from Houston US Mail via UPS store. $3.59. My customer sent it back (same package)US Mail via the post office $1.58. Now I sent the same package both ways (ups and ups store) and it was only about $2.50 higher ($40.00 cost)from UPS store. Go figure!!!!!!!

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
      Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Russ,

You might consider Greyhound as an alternative in the future. They can also handle oversize items in the underneath compartments. Ron Smith (AKA Clunk) used to drive for them and can provide additional information.

My issues is that the price that UPS charged me when shipping never matched the price quoted on their website. I would put in the dimensions, the weight (I have a large platform postal scale that goes to 80 pounds) and the destination and the price would always be 30% more. Tough when you are trying to e-Bay something and only charge the actual costs.

Gary

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Russ,

You might consider Greyhound as an alternative in the future. They can also handle oversize items in the underneath compartments. Ron Smith (AKA Clunk) used to drive for them and can provide additional information.

My issues is that the price that UPS charged me when shipping never matched the price quoted on their website. I would put in the dimensions, the weight (I have a large platform postal scale that goes to 80 pounds) and the destination and the price would always be 30% more. Tough when you are trying to e-Bay something and only charge the actual costs.

Gary

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Comment

I much prefer the good ol' post office. Just got a 110A Bosch alternator and starter in the mail today from NY state, cost the shipper $11 and the box was HEAVY. Also, unlike UPS, they will generally deliver to the correct address. Also my post office has Saturday morning hours, which is convenient when people send stuff "signature required." Receiving packages sent "signature required" from UPS is generally a charlie foxtrot in my experience.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I much prefer the good ol' post office. Just got a 110A Bosch alternator and starter in the mail today from NY state, cost the shipper $11 and the box was HEAVY. Also, unlike UPS, they will generally deliver to the correct address. Also my post office has Saturday morning hours, which is convenient when people send stuff "signature required." Receiving packages sent "signature required" from UPS is generally a charlie foxtrot in my experience.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The Post Office has two different size boxes that you can put any weight in them you want as long as the parts fit without "overstuffing" them and the cost is $8.10 to any where in the 48 states. They are called "flat rate" boxes and are free at the post office. They are not real big but some of the small heavy things will usually fit in one of the two boxes.

Ted

Comment

The Post Office has two different size boxes that you can put any weight in them you want as long as the parts fit without "overstuffing" them and the cost is $8.10 to any where in the 48 states. They are called "flat rate" boxes and are free at the post office. They are not real big but some of the small heavy things will usually fit in one of the two boxes.

Ted

Comment

Ted's referring to the Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes. There's only two sizes, but boy can you get away with some shipping of heavy stuff so long as it fits in one of those two containers! Like the FORTY-NINE POUNDS of transmission parts I shipped TED for the grand sum of $8.10!!!

OF COURSE... you REALLY have to watch out for the "oversize penalties" that UPS, USPS, FedEx et al, tack on. Like Gary, I'm amazed that my online calculations NEVER match what I'm charged when I take something to the counter to have it shipped. I will say that sometimes they charge a little bit LESS than I'd figured, but usually, it's a bit MORE
                    Depending on what an item has sold for, I may just eat the difference. On the other hand, if the difference is BIG, I do try to get the buyer to sport for the difference.
                    Not too long ago I sold some stainless trim via ebay and because of my not measuring the package correctly, it cost me another $38 bucks to ship it. The buyer is someone we ALL know of and I figured he was good for the difference so long as I sent him a copy of the reciept.[}] Right! I'll know better than to deal with him next time.
                    Greyhound is great - so long as the recipient is willing to trek to the nearest terminal. I've shipped some sheet metal and HEAVY stuff with them and it got there fine.

ONE OTHER TIP..... Yes, the UPS stores ding you for their service. The way around this is to set up a UPS account and use their online facilities. YOU box it, and you print and attach the prepaid label you've printed out on YOUR computer. Then you just drop them at any UPS store - no charges for that so long as it's ready to go - and NO surprize charges so long as you've been fairly honest about weighing and sizes when doing the calculations online.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ted's referring to the Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes. There's only two sizes, but boy can you get away with some shipping of heavy stuff so long as it fits in one of those two containers! Like the FORTY-NINE POUNDS of transmission parts I shipped TED for the grand sum of $8.10!!!

OF COURSE... you REALLY have to watch out for the "oversize penalties" that UPS, USPS, FedEx et al, tack on. Like Gary, I'm amazed that my online calculations NEVER match what I'm charged when I take something to the counter to have it shipped. I will say that sometimes they charge a little bit LESS than I'd figured, but usually, it's a bit MORE
                      Depending on what an item has sold for, I may just eat the difference. On the other hand, if the difference is BIG, I do try to get the buyer to sport for the difference.
                      Not too long ago I sold some stainless trim via ebay and because of my not measuring the package correctly, it cost me another $38 bucks to ship it. The buyer is someone we ALL know of and I figured he was good for the difference so long as I sent him a copy of the reciept.[}] Right! I'll know better than to deal with him next time.
                      Greyhound is great - so long as the recipient is willing to trek to the nearest terminal. I've shipped some sheet metal and HEAVY stuff with them and it got there fine.

ONE OTHER TIP..... Yes, the UPS stores ding you for their service. The way around this is to set up a UPS account and use their online facilities. YOU box it, and you print and attach the prepaid label you've printed out on YOUR computer. Then you just drop them at any UPS store - no charges for that so long as it's ready to go - and NO surprize charges so long as you've been fairly honest about weighing and sizes when doing the calculations online.

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Not too long ago I sold some stainless trim via ebay and because of my not measuring the package correctly, it cost me another $38 bucks to ship it.
                        Bob,

I can do you one better. Back when I bought an Oliver OC-96 crawler loader it came with a Drott 4 in 1 bucket and an International 6 way dozer blade and "C" frame. After I sold the crawler, I offered the blade and bucket on e-bay.

I sold the blade to a fellow about and hour away and got one bid on the bucket, from a fellow in British Columbia. While I did not want to ship it, he offered to pay me. I got the dimension, estimated the weight and called around. The lowest price I got was around $800. In the end, the purchaser sent me $1500 for the bucket and shipping and I found a carrier to do it for around $700.

Boy was I surprised when I got a call from the shipper about 2 weeks later that it actually weighed 1500 pounds instead of the 500 I had quoted and I now owed them an additional $750. [xx(] Needless to say, between the shipping costs and fuel I expended moving it 50 miles to the terminal I was already upside down. Turns out it was the last thing I sold on e-bay.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Not too long ago I sold some stainless trim via ebay and because of my not measuring the package correctly, it cost me another $38 bucks to ship it.
                          Bob,

I can do you one better. Back when I bought an Oliver OC-96 crawler loader it came with a Drott 4 in 1 bucket and an International 6 way dozer blade and "C" frame. After I sold the crawler, I offered the blade and bucket on e-bay.

I sold the blade to a fellow about and hour away and got one bid on the bucket, from a fellow in British Columbia. While I did not want to ship it, he offered to pay me. I got the dimension, estimated the weight and called around. The lowest price I got was around $800. In the end, the purchaser sent me $1500 for the bucket and shipping and I found a carrier to do it for around $700.

Boy was I surprised when I got a call from the shipper about 2 weeks later that it actually weighed 1500 pounds instead of the 500 I had quoted and I now owed them an additional $750. [xx(] Needless to say, between the shipping costs and fuel I expended moving it 50 miles to the terminal I was already upside down. Turns out it was the last thing I sold on e-bay.

Comment

I remember you telling about that.[xx(] I personally wouldn't even TRY with something like that because of the logistics involved. A car - that rolls, that's one thing. Something that requires a forklift or whatever - outta my league.[}]

I'm still bragging about getting the tranny parts to Ted for $8 and change!

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I remember you telling about that.[xx(] I personally wouldn't even TRY with something like that because of the logistics involved. A car - that rolls, that's one thing. Something that requires a forklift or whatever - outta my league.[}]

I'm still bragging about getting the tranny parts to Ted for $8 and change!

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X