This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectible Auto Mag

Check out the April 2006 issue. A good article about the Packard proving grounds. Also the Feb 2006 issue had an article about the 63-66 Studebaker Wagonaire...

I have that issue and the proving ground article was terrific. Aside from Turning Wheels magazine, my two favorite magazines are Collectible Automobile and Hemmings Classic Car. All are classy.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

As far as the title goes......."Collectable Auto Mag" ALL "Auto Mags" are collectable !!

Overall.. there weren't many Auto Mag's built. The first 44 magnum semi-auto hand gun. All Stainless steel construction...which at the time was part of it's downfall. All of parts were of the same material. Currently, there are several grades of Stainless. Apparently at the time these guns were made of easy to get and cast materials. Unfortunatly...the similarity of the materials caused th bolt to gall in the frame upon discharge and cartridge ejection.

Very cool hand guns for their time...even Dirty Harry used one in the second or third Dirty Harry movie.

Comment

Here's one in a different car magazine (notice please, Mike, it's a CAR magazine):

I saw that the Vintage Trucks magazine for April 2006, on newsstands already, has a two page article about one particular red Champ 3/4 ton pickup. The previous owner put in a R1 289, and the present owner has repainted it to look as new.

An interesting observation by the current owner is that when young guys see his truck for the first time, they assume it is a new model Dodge truck they have not encountered yet. I suppose that makes sense, because the Champ came right after the C-Cab series. Since Dodge heavily borrowed from the C-Cabs for their late 90's Dakota and full size trucks, it would be a natural evolution for them to steal the look of the Champ for the next go-round of models. Let's see if they actually do that.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Mike,
          Lets not forget the S&W 357s....even Charter Arms made fine "equipment"!

I will tell you from personal experience that the sound of a S&W 44 mag sounded (to me) like a 400H&H going off..and as you know the H&H is an elephant rifle! Back in the day I was at a range with my friend in Miami, Fla....unknown to anyone, some CLOWN got in with the H&H rifle and got off several rounds from down the range...it was so loud that we thought the place had been bombed...the CLOWN had his "toy" confiscated on the spot by the local PD....

Comment

Working...
          X