This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larks, not in a straight line: ramblings

For the past several months I've been trying to sell my 63S-Y6 with little success. To be fair, I've only advertised in my chapter newsletter and via e-mail to several others, but that's due in large part to (a) this isn't the best time of year to sell any kind of hobby car (b) nobody seems to want an OHV6 sedan with AT, no matter how nice. At the moment I'm planning on taking it to York and see if I can get a decent offer in the car corral.

Anyhow, one thing I've been wanting to do for some time is to drive in a vintage TSD rally style event like the New England 1000 or Carolina Trophy. I've done TSDs before in my daily drivers, but I thought doing one in a Stude would be a great way to promote the marque. The cost of entry is a separate matter; I'd probably seek some sponsorships and call myself the "Studebaker Factory Team" or some such. Ditto finding a suitable co-driver/navvie.

Thinking out loud now: would the 63S-Y6 in stock trim be sufficient to compete in such an event? If not, and if I wanted to do it in a Stude, should I consider using a V8 powered Lark? What about swapping a V8 into my car? I've noticed more people are doing that, even though I've always been told it's verboten since the frames of 6-cylinder cars are made of lighter gauge steel. The answer to these questions may have an effect on whether I become more or less aggressive in my efforts to sell the car.

In either case, what have people been doing to make their "modern" Studes (Lark/Hawk/Avanti) handle better? Just from observation, the majority of Stude performance enthusiasts are mostly interested in going fast in a straight line (e.g. Bonneville, PSMCD) and the success of Ted Harbit et al. at the PSMCD has caused a little bit of a rush on two-door Larks and Lark-types to produce Brown Wrapper/Tomato clones. I'm aware that Larks did run on tracks in the past in the US and, particularly, in Australia (Bathurst). I'm also aware that a '64 Daytona appeared at Goodwood in the UK in the recent past. In any case I haven't seen or heard much of anything about Lark suspension setups, wheel/tire combos, etc.

Any thoughts? TIA.

I would think a front torsion bar (sway bar) would make a big difference if your Lark doesn't already have one. I installed one on my 1957 Hawk with the 6 cylinder engine, and front handling improved significantly and instantly.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I would think a upgraded sway bar front and rear, HD springs and shocks, Twin traction and wider wheels would do the trick on the suspension end. You'd want the power and brakes from a V8, maybe Trurner disks. All in all, easier to start with a V8 car IMHO.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
      64 GT Hawk
      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      63 Daytona Convert.
      53 Street rod
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Studebakers have been run in other than a straight line, like in NASCAR Grand National (Winston Cup, now Nextel Cup) and Larks (V8) in the Petite LeMans at Lime Rock Park (Conn.).
        For what you are interested in, I would recommend selling your car and buying a V8 car. Add sway bars and better brakes.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I posted about the Newfounland Targa,but nobdy even commented.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

I posted about the Newfounland Targa,but nobdy even commented.
            I saw that, but I rather doubt the bulletnose would have the same suspension setups as my Lark. I searched and found nothing about Studes running at Lime Rock.

Thanks to the rest of you who've replied. Looks like I should hunt down a '63 V8 two-door sedan. I imagine what could be done with brakes would be dictated by the rules of the sanctioning body.

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by larkvi

Originally posted by Transtar56

I saw that, but I rather doubt the bulletnose would have the same suspension setups as my Lark. I searched and found nothing about Studes running at Lime Rock.

There is a web site, Bob Johnstone's (?), that has Studebaker race history on it. Maybe someone else knows and can post a link to it. I frequented Jocko's Speed Shop where the Lime Rock Larks were prepared and Jocko (Sr.) was one of the drivers. In 1989, I interviewed Jocko, Jr. about this. He was young but had been at Lime Rock then and remembered the Larks and had pictures and information. I provided all of this to the then Editor of Turning Wheels, but it was never published in TW.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Dan Miller has (had?) a '64 Challenger that he runs (ran?) at Road Atlanta. What was done to the car, I don't remember; the copy of TW I have that had that article is in MI.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

If I recall right, Dan had double sway bars at the front.

I echo other comments here about just finding a V8 Lark to start with. Find a two-door, for that matter.
                  LOTS of 6cylinder Larks have ended up with V8s and haven't broken in half as a result.[:0] But the switch to a V8 involves much more than just the motor. Springs, tranny, rear axle, brakes, wiring, linkages - all need to be switched to the relevant parts that go with the heavier, more powerful engine.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I found a rotten V8 donor car for my 63 Lark 6cyl 2 door sedan for $75. It got me the V8 mounts, twin traction dana, sway bar and linkage. What I didnt need was sold off to cover the cost of the car. I'm converting to disc brakes anyways so that was not an issue for me. BTW someone told me I could swap my front 6 cyl brake setup to the rear. Is this true?
                    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

I found a rotten V8 donor car for my 63 Lark 6cyl 2 door sedan for $75. It got me the V8 mounts, twin traction dana, sway bar and linkage. What I didnt need was sold off to cover the cost of the car. I'm converting to disc brakes anyways so that was not an issue for me. BTW someone told me I could swap my front 6 cyl brake setup to the rear. Is this true?
                      Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
                      Good to know. I'm pretty sure that's true regarding the braking swap. I was thinking about doing that to my car myself. My car already has a front sway but obviously not the V8 sway.

I had a chance at a '63 OHV6 two-door sedan when I bought my four-door, but its body was in much worse shape than the car I bought.

Comment

Todd, it's not true about putting the front 6cyl brakes on the rear. You could swap the drum from a 6cyl's front hub to a V8's rear hub in some cases. Nothing else comes close to interchanging. Your front backing plates would have no provisions for the emergency brakes that the rear brakes encompass not to mention that the bolt pattern's different from front to rear.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Mr.Biggs..
                          Lark VI: Here is a NICE 63 2dr V8 on Ebay right now...I'd love to have it!

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Thanks for the clarification Mr.Biggs..
                            Lark VI: Here is a NICE 63 2dr V8 on Ebay right now...I'd love to have it!

Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan
                            Sorry Mr. Biggs, I didn't have my story straight either.

Todd: that's a far nicer car than I'd expect as a starting point, and nicer than what I started out with - but $12K!?! Holy cow! I'd be happy if I got 1/3 of that or a bit more for mine! [:0]

Comment

Here is some racing info

Comment

Working...
                              X