PDA

View Full Version : Kingpins

curt
02-13-2006, 08:09 PM
How many zerks per king pin, I see only one. I have a book that says two.

N8N
02-13-2006, 08:10 PM
on a passenger car, just the one AFAIK. Trucks may be different; I'm not sure.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

curt
02-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks, N8N.

BobPalma
02-13-2006, 09:28 PM
[}:)] SHOULD have been two! [:I]

BP

Mike Van Veghten
02-14-2006, 12:16 PM
I've got three (54, 59, 60) Studes and an extra pair of 54 spindles....ALL have one fitting each. Only one of the bosses was ever drilled in all of'em

rockne10
02-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Unfortunately there is only one:( but it is important to get the grease to flow out both the top and bottom when lubricating. If the top bushing has been neglected:( you may waste a lot of grease waiting for it to emerge but, once it does, neglect it no more.:)

blackhawk
02-18-2006, 10:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Unfortunately there is only one:( but it is important to get the grease to flow out both the top and bottom when lubricating. If the top bushing has been neglected:( you may waste a lot of grease waiting for it to emerge but, once it does, neglect it no more.:)
If you replace the cork seal at the bottom of the spindle with an O-ring, you can stem the flow of grease out the bottom and force it to go up to the bearing at the top. This ensures that the thrust bearing is adequately greased and makes the car steer a whole lot easier.

N8N
02-19-2006, 08:00 AM
yeah, what Dale said.

I worry a little bit that that might starve the bottom bushings a little - any opinions? I have been doing it on several cars now though because they steer SO much easier (esp. w/o PS) when there's nice soft grease in the top bearings.

In fact, SOP on cars for me seems to be to knock the kingpins loose and soak the upper bearing in gasoline, as the last few cars I've worked on have had so much old, hard grease in the top bearing that they won't free up even with an air-powered grease gun. It's not that hard once you do it a few times - the hard part is putting it back together (esp. with needle bearing kingpins, don't lose the needles!) This is why I've been using the O-rings, I have them but don't have a stash of the correct cork gaskets when I'm not replacing any parts just R&Ring.

nate

(and then there's my '55 coupe... I shudder to think that someone was actually driving the car with as much front end stuff as was destroyed/NFG on that - seized lower trunnions, busted lock pins, caster changing while driving....? Don't worry, it's all better now, thanks to SASCO and Lee D.)

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel