PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Froze

vsbkv
02-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Can anyone tell me what I can do to get my clutch working again short of removing it. This past fall I washed the car including the engine compartment to prepare it for storage. I put it in the garage and covered it for winter. We had a nice day last weekend in the northeast, so I went to the garage to start it and move it out side to run for a bit. This is when I found I couldn't get it into gear. It is a 1955 Commmander with a 259 V8, 3 speed. Any help would be appreciated.

whacker
02-09-2006, 09:57 PM
First, check all the linkage to be sure you are actually disengaging the clutch. Have someone else pust the clutch pedal while you watch from below to see the action! Especially check the connection between the rotating linkage and the throwout bearing lever. Once you are positive the linkage is not broken or slipping, put the car in reverse with the engine off, start it up and let it lurch back. Shut it off right away. That should break the clutch loose. If that doesn't work, I have heard of people pushing the car in gear as though to start it, except holding the clutch in, so the pressure plate will break loose. I've never tried that myself. Before you do any of these things, make absolutely sure the linkage is working properly!

Dick Steinkamp
02-09-2006, 10:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by vsbkv

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get my clutch working again short of removing it. This past fall I washed the car including the engine compartment to prepare it for storage. I put it in the garage and covered it for winter. We had a nice day last weekend in the northeast, so I went to the garage to start it and move it out side to run for a bit. This is when I found I couldn't get it into gear. It is a 1955 Commmander with a 259 V8, 3 speed. Any help would be appreciated.

First follow whacker's recomendation to insure the clutch mechanism is working properly.

I have used the following method to free a stuck clutch disk and it has worked fine for me.

Place the rear of the car securly on heavy duty jack stands. Block the front wheels. Start the car in second gear and depress the clutch pedal. Rev it to around 1500 RPMs. Tap the brake pedal.

-Dick-

rockne10
02-10-2006, 08:23 AM
When I bought my 33 Rockne it had been sitting in a garage for 31 years and the clutch was well frozen. After determining everything else was working properly, we dragged it around the block, clutching, releasing, clutching, releasing. Eventually it broke loose and has been working perfectly for the last fifteen years. Hope you're that fortunate.

N8N
02-10-2006, 11:40 AM
The clutch on my '62 has stuck twice, simply starting the engine in gear with foot firmly on the brake pedal has worked.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Dick Steinkamp
02-10-2006, 12:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

The clutch on my '62 has stuck twice, simply starting the engine in gear with foot firmly on the brake pedal has worked.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Other foot firmly on the clutch pedal? [}:)]:D

-Dick-

Roscomacaw
02-10-2006, 01:24 PM
No, Dick - GAS pedal.[:0][:p][}:)]:([xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

wagone
02-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Dick and Bob: Maybe both.........or perhaps all three at once?:D:D[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Lark Parker
02-15-2006, 11:05 AM
For the forward direction methods --- be sure that the car is not in overdrive as the freewheeling will defeat your effort.
In reverse attempts that is not a concern, theoretically.
Been there, done that.