This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overcharging GT

My 63 GT appears to be overcharging (up at end of +35 amps). Four wires connected to back of alternator. One large faded yellow one with small black wire, one medium faded yellow on attached to spade connector on back, and another faded yellow one attached to ground beside ballast resistor.

The black wire currently is not connected to the condensor. It may have broken off. Would this cause an overcharge. If so, what value of condensor should replace it?

THanks for any advice.

Paul

That's just for radio static suspression, no effect. Replace the regulator with a 69 MOPAR unit. (about $12 from Autozone/pep Boys.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure it is over charging or has winter just left you with a partially discharged battery?

Comment

You really should check out the charging system. It sounds like your voltage regulator isn't functioning properly. If not attended to, it's possible that you can have your battery explode on you (that's the extreme).
        I had such a problem and noticed that my battery was starting to bulge.
        The regulator wasn't working rightl. A new regulator fixed it.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thank you. It was the regulator. Now my black unit is grey, and shaped a little differently, but all the holes and connections were the same.

Paul

Comment

You can sometimes swap the cover, or at least paint it black if it bothers you.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
            64 GT Hawk
            64 R2 4 speed Challenger
            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
            63 Daytona Convert.
            53 Street rod
            JDP Maryland

Comment

I don't know if they are still doing it, but Sears, as late as 4 years ago, would offer a free electrical diagnostic service at their service centers. The probably still do it. With their test equipment they could tell easily if the problem was battery, gen, volt. reg., or short. In 1990 I restored a '54 Chebby 3/4 ton truck, and every time the electrical system went KooKoo I'd just roll on down to Sears. If it was the battery, I'd buy a Sears battery just to make them happy!

1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
              1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
              1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
              1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
              Robert Rausch

Comment

Working...
              X