PDA

View Full Version : Richard Quinn goes big time!!!

52hawk
02-06-2006, 07:38 PM
The Daily News Trib,LaSalle,Il.. AP[associated press] Today ran a story about Mr Quinn-the largest collection of Studebaker memorabilia in the world!!!! Quite a thrill to me to see this in our local 'rag'. [I don't subscribe,a buddy called about the article,and brought me the paper] WOW!!! even a picture of Richard with his '41 Champion!!!
I don't know how many of you may see this in your local newspapers,but AP is world wide.- so check out your local newspapers for a copy of the story.
It does say 'Studebaker Manufacturing Company' started in 1868--where did that date come from??? Other than that,a pretty cool story!!!

Studieous Maximus

DilloCrafter
02-06-2006, 07:50 PM
This appears to be the article:
http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/news/politics/13633831.htm

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/current_AvaCar.gif

52hawk
02-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Thats it Dillo! Just purty cool to see the word "STUDEBAKER" in our local paper.And ,a picture too.!

Studieous Maximus

Roscomacaw
02-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Cool deal!

That's the second time in very recent memory that 1868 is spelled out as the date that Studebaker Co. was formed. Weird. It must have something to do with the incorporation or something. I don't like it. No sir. I don't like it one bit!

Richard! Set then straight, will ya???:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DilloCrafter
02-06-2006, 11:18 PM
It's revisionist history, that's what it is, and probably a conspiracy, too. You see, if "they" say Studebaker didn't begin until after 1865, then the company couldn't have supplied wagons to the U.S. Army during the War Between the States. Therefore, it's now politically correct, so that it's okay for us native Southerners to own a Studebaker!

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/current_AvaCar.gif

Studebaker Wheel
02-07-2006, 02:42 AM
This article originally appeared in the Dec 28, 2005 edition of The Daily Southtown a newspaper of Chicago's southern suburbs (I do not subscribe to this paper). The following day it was picked up by The Chicago Sun Times and other affiliates including a paper I do take the The Herald News of Will County. I was not aware of its recent publication in the LaSalle paper but appreciate your bringing it to my attention.

As to the 1868 date, an explanation. The exact quote as used in the article is as follows:
The Studebaker Manufacturing Co., formed in 1868, grew from a blacksmith shop in South Bend, Ind., to become the biggest wagon manufacturer in the world and the only one to successfully make the change from horse-drawn to gasoline-powered vehicles.

This dates and name are technically correct. Prior to 1868 the company was known as H & C Studebaker (or minor variations thereof). Though we all know the business started in Feb. 1852 it was not incorporated as a stock company until 1868 when it became known as the Studebaker Bros. Mfg. Co. At that time all the shares of stock were owned by the Studebaker families. It was not until 1911 before the stock was publically traded and in that year it became known as The Studebaker Corporation.

In order to assure an accurate representation of the facts of Studebakers early history to the young man who did the story I gave him a copy of the excellent article written by Fred K. Fox entitled "The Studebaker Story... What's it all about." This 4 panel folder was (and still is, I believe) used by the SDC for recruitment. Fred does not mention the 1868 incorporation in his general history and I certainly said nothing about it so I assume the reporter must have picked it up on a website. As I say it is not incorrect but does lead one to believe the business was started in 1868 rather than 1852.

Oh, incidentally there were other companies that made the transition from horsedrawn to automobiles though none of them lasted very long.

Richard Quinn
editor: Antique Studebaker Review
editor Turning Wheels "The Studebaker Almanac"

R. Quinn

r1lark
02-07-2006, 12:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by ddub

When you say "War Between the States" are you refering to the "War of Southern Rebellion"?

No, that's the "War of Northern Agression" that you are thinking about<G>!

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

BobPalma
02-08-2006, 10:40 PM
:) When visiting our son in Charleston SC, I understood the correct nomenclature for the 1861-1865 altercation to be, "The Recent Unpleasantness..." [:I] BP

mjeansonne
02-09-2006, 07:14 AM
That's the "Recent Unpleasantness", [u]</u>known[u]</u> as the "War of Northern Aggression":)

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

BShaw
02-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Okay fellas. This topic is headed down a slippery slope. Let's either talk Studebakers or drop it lest an "unpleasant altercation" breaks out here. Thanks.

-BShaw
Webmaster
60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion

Laemmle
02-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Bully to you, the next thing to appear will be a poll as to the "correctness" of that cartoon situation...the world has gone mad, and do not tell me it has not.