PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Canadian GT Hubcap Colours

55s
02-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Can anyone tell me what the colour scheme was for a Canadian-built (not sure if it matters) 1963 GT Hawk?

Paul R

Roscomacaw
02-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Inside the "S" should be black. Just outside the "S" should be silver painted. Then between the "rays" near the outer edge should be black.
The parts book hints at a different cover for Canadian Hawks than USA Hawks. But I suspect it boils down to more of a matter of identification than any real difference.
BTW, I'm missing some examples of Canadian covers and caps in my display. If any Canuck friends have a KNOWN Canadian variant cap/cover lying around, I'd like to talk about acquiring it. I know I have about 3 Canadian covers and one Aussie issue cover, but I'd like to find examples of the ones I'm missing. Condition is not that much of an issue although, of course, I'd like to have a presentable one if possible.
TW editor, Art, has asked me to do a feature article on wheel dressings and horn buttons. Even tho Fred Fox did fine presentations on both topics in the past, I've managed to learn more and gather more examples to photograph and describe than Fred had when he wrote his coverages.
SO - any other examples - or even info - I could round up would be appreciated. If you have a foreign or one-off Stude wheelcover that you could send me a good, clear COLOR photo of, please do! And send what info you have as to it's past as well. I want to present technical info as well as interesting text.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

65cruiser
02-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Biggs, now that we're talking hubcaps, I've got a few observations. Has anyone noticed that the hubcaps used by the Checker Cabs look like Studebaker hubcaps with some minor changes? Here are a few:

http://bassettpics.net/checker/CACheckerClub2003Show/images/2003arnold286.jpg

And

http://bassettpics.net/checker/2005show/images/dsc00039.jpg

Then there's International Cornbinders. I'll be danged, but I swear this are REAL similar to the wheelcovers on my Cruiser:

http://images.traderonline.com/img/10/dealer/4004286/82501109_3.jpg

Then, what's up with this?

http://i11.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/24/0e/f7_1.JPG

Ebay ad says it's for a International or a Studebaker. Did the same company that made Studebaker hubcaps pop these for other manufacturers? In particular, the Checker hubcap is nearly identical, although somewhat flatter looking. The International appears to be missing the "ribs" that radiate from the hub, but still is strangely similar. The one pictured above is missing the freaking lazy S.:(

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/Logo1.jpg

studegary
02-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Most of these wheelcovers were made for Studebaker, and other manufacturers, by the same company, Lyons -I believe. With some small changes, like the center, they could press out similar covers for different manufactuers. Many of the wheelcovers for Studebakers were designed by Studebaker designers, but made by an outside vendor, like Lyons. As far as the one with the missing "S", often, especially in the '50s and '60s, there were aftermarket companies making cheap replacement wheelcovers for various vehicles. They usually left out (copyrighted) details like the car company's logo. These wheelcovers were often inferior and sold by places like J.C.W.

Roscomacaw
02-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Well,

Like Gary says, some wheelcovers went on to have another life for vehicle makers that survived the Studebaker era.

The Checker covers are one example as is the IH use of the '64-65 full disc covers. Fact is, there's a later incantation of that IH cover where the 8 "rays" were left off.;)

THEN..... there's the late "bottlecap" style covers that went on to serve with slight revisions on some Chrysler products.......[}:)];)[8D]

On top of that, I'm relatively certain that the full disc cover's that Studebaker introduced on 1956 (and of which, various incantations of served right on thru 1966) actually were a rehash of a cover that was initially used on 1955 Hudsons ("Hashes", if you will). [:0] [:I] [^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

65cruiser
02-06-2006, 03:16 PM
When I was a kid, I had an extensive hubcap colletion. All told probably 150 or more (wish I had them today). I was aware of some of the replacements, in fact I used to have a 1947 "Ploumoth" hubcap that was obviously a fake, but from 10 feet you could hardly tell.

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/Logo1.jpg

Roscomacaw
02-06-2006, 04:12 PM
What started my "collection" was when I made a deal with a local hub cap sales place to buy out all their Stude pieces. Actually, a friend had given me nearly 200 different brand X covers and caps and I traded them for the 70-some Stude covers this shop had.:D
Of course, I sold most of them at meets and such (before the ebay era[:o)]) and made the decision to keep THE very nicest cap of each style I got and decorate my garage wall with them.
Then it became a challenge to see if I could round up one of EVERY cap & cover that Stude had ever used - then all the follow-ons such as we're discussing here - not to mention trying to get examples of the Canadian and export varieties.
I've had lotsa help along the way, for which I'm grateful. And folks still bring the odd cover to me or to my attention, on the chance it's something I don't have.:)
One recurring item is the Simca covers we discussed here recently. I now have three different Simca aluminum caps. One full dish and two center style. I've even got some of the aforementioned aftermarket caps that mimic a Stude cap but have a line of S's across the middle instead of spelling out STUDEBAKER.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

MarkC
02-06-2006, 06:55 PM
(Note: This is intended as a humorous diversion only. All pun intended.)

Uh, Mr. Biggs? Did you really mean "incantation" and not "incarnation"?

Per Dictionary.com:

Incantation - Ritual recitation of verbal charms or spells to produce a magic effect.

Incarnation - A new personification of a familiar idea.

(Actually, I kind of like the use of "incantation" here. We can all use a little more magic!)

Have a great one!

MarkC

MarkC, 64 Y8
Working in Spokane, WA

monomaniac
02-06-2006, 07:22 PM
The Canadian hubcap on a 63 GT was chrome plated, not stainless steel like Studebaker's other hubcaps. Many you see now have the chrome peeling off.

Roscomacaw
02-06-2006, 10:52 PM
Yes, MarkC, that's what I had in mind. Thanks for allowing your incandescence to cause incalescense beneath my posterior. Because of my cranial incapaciousness, I was incapable of making my thoughts incarnate when filtered through my keybored.[xx(] My face turns a deep incarnadine and the depth of my embarrassment is incalculable as I grapple with yet more proof of my fallibility.
My inability to summon the proper linguistic phrasing is probably due sentencing on the order of incarceration, incapsulation or even incavernation to protect the innocent.

Now that I think of it, "incatenation" was probably what my head wanted my fingers to produce. That word describes the act of linking things together - as would be the case of the evolution of the wheelcovers in question.

I will go now and chant the various model names in a candle-lit setting. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm Commanderrrrrrrr, Championnnnnnn, Land Cruiserrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.[|)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Roscomacaw
02-06-2006, 11:11 PM
It worked! It worked!:D I'd gone thru the various model names alphabetically - carefully pacing my breathing and pronunciation of the monikers when WHAM![:0] It hit me! ITERATION! THAT'S THE WORD I'd grabbed for and missed. Hot doggies![:p] It's iteration, Mark - not incantation. Although it WAS my incantationous interlude that brought out the woyd I wuz lookin' for.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Transtar56
02-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Biggs,Ive got to tell you a sad tale.
You may recall Ive mentioned and shown pics(when my ISP let me post)of my buddy Gary Paynes Stude graveyard.He owns several hundred old cars including SAAB's,Mercedes,and mostly domestic stuff,but his passion always was,and is, Studebakers. He still has the remains of 40 or so in varying states of returning to mother earth.Very little left thats salvageable,even for parts.
The sad part is the enviromental people gave him fits for years about cleaning up his "junk",even though he lives in a very remote area.It is however,close to the Bay of Fundy,and I believe this was the reason they pursued him so vorasiously.
He told them finally they could bring in their crusher and have at it,as long as they spared the Studebakers. They did,and crushed all that were easily retrievable(some are in the woods),and left the Studes alone,save for one. It was a late model Lark type that they probaly didn't realize was a Stude.
Now the sad part is,I had been there not long before the fatefull day and Gary opened the trunk on that paticular car.It was jam packed with Studebaker wheelcovers,many in excellent condition. Gary had used the trunk of this car to save his Stude covers for years,and wouldn't you know it,that was the one they crushed.
Im not sure who was more heartbroken,him or me,as I had intended to sort through them and look for any Canadian ones for you.This only happened about two years ago.

Roscomacaw
02-08-2006, 12:36 PM
GAH!!!!!![xx(] I gotta step out for some air............[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS