This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• window regulator

i'm looking for a window regulator for my 63 lark, drivers side. my current regulator doesnt hold the window up it slowly rolls down as am driving so i would really like to fix that.
    my question is will any regulator fit or should i just go to a stude vendor for it?

No, not any regulator will fit. My books show that 63 2-dr, 4dr & wagon all share the same front door regulators.

You know, if your regulator works smoothly but just inches down as you say - maybe all you need is a new spring on the regulator. That big coil spring is what keeps that from happening. And they DO snap or fall off - although it's rare.
    If a spring would fix it, I've got one you can have.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

yeah if that all it is, is a spring i'll take it. and yeah the window rolls up and down just fine but it's like you said it inches it's way down.
      so where you located?

Comment

Ah.......somewhere just shy of the "Left Coast".

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Be careful with those springs.They have enough power to cut off a finger.A bolt throught the regulator,or a pair of vise grips to hold the gear is a good idea.

Studieous Maximus
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cosmo

yeah if that all it is, is a spring i'll take it. and yeah the window rolls up and down just fine but it's like you said it inches it's way down.
            so where you located?
            With due respect to Mr. Biggs, I think the big spring may not be the culprit in this case. If it were broken, the window would do more than "inch" down; it'd drop like a stone, and cranking it up would be an effort. I'd be more inclined to suspect that the anti-reversal spring in the handle spindle assembly is shot.

If the big spring is broken, the window should crank DOWN with no effort at all, if it doesn't drop on its own. And it it should take considerable effort to crank it UP (compare to other side). If the anti-reversal spring is broken, the effort to move the window up or down will be unchanged; it just will not stay PUT at most positions; it will tend to move to the one point in the travel where the weight of the window exactly balances the tension in the big spring. Think of the anti-reversal spring as a one-way clutch that permits the crank spindle to move ONLY if motion is initiated from the handle end.

There is a vendor on TW who sells replacement regulators. If you have a sedan parts car, you can use the base and sector gear from a rear window regulator with the spring and arms from your present regulator to do rebuild job. You have to be able to drill out some rivets and replace or weld them to do the job. The big spring isn't too hard to handle, but be certain the regulator is cranked to the full-up position before attempting to disassemble it.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

You might be right, Gord - but I've had regulators where that big spring was gone and they didn't just fall open. Of course, alot would depend on how fresh and tight the runs are.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

BTW, Cosmo, that spring left here yesterday. You ought to have it today or Monday.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                X