PDA

View Full Version : Auto. Trans. Dead ??? 64 Avanti

morphis
03-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Replaced the leaky carb. with a edelbrock & am not using the blower. Engine sounds fine so i put it into neutral to take it for the first test drive. It sounded like all the lifters went south, clang, tick, ping, rattle . No noise in park or drive. Then i find that the car will hardly move in reverse or drive 1 or 2 .Feels like the brake is on . The engine will not rev up in gear but will redline in park & neutral. The manual does not cover this problem. Also want to know what my options are to get a new trans, what years will interchange? ( any overdrive units that may fit ?)

Chucks Stude
03-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Misses under load... points maybe?

hank63
03-16-2007, 07:38 AM
What you describe could be a fatal "cardiac g.box arrest" on the way. I wouldn't run the engine until I had a good g.box bloke ready to check oil pressures etc.
Maybe it's a silly question, but what's the oil level in the trannie?
/H

N8N
03-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Have you adjusted the throttle pressure linkage per the shop manual? Also make sure that you are using the *large* hole in the Edelbrock not the small one that looks like it will work... the small hole does not allow enough travel of the gas pedal and will not provide enough pull on the throttle pressure linkage at WOT.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

64V-K7
03-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Check the fluid level ( as per manual).... check the color of the fluid ( should be pinkish. smell the fluid (should not smell burned)
If there's anything wrong here. and you say there were metallic noises when you worked the gearshift, I'd pull the pan to get more clues. ( a new filter and gasket couldn't hurt)
Look for bits in the pan. If you see flakes of metal, that's not bad, but if there are chunks of metal, it's over.....

Bob Johnstone
http://www.studebaker-info.org/7168422/sig2.jpg

N8N
03-16-2007, 05:38 PM
i'm still sticking with my original guess, the FOM/Powershift can "buzz" loudly with a misadjusted throttle pressure linkage, it's not outside the realm of possiblity that if you get it 'just wrong' it could sound like a rattle.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight

sbca96
03-16-2007, 08:46 PM
But even with the throttle linkage disconnected from the trans, it'll
still move and drive. It might be herky jerky, & won't downshift, but
it should still do more then bogg down and buzz.

That said .. try jacking the rear of the car up, and making SURE that
the rear axle moves FREELY. Do this by hand. I know it sounds crazy
but if the emergency brake is on - you arent going ANYWHERE. It might
back up OK, but it wont move forward. I found this out years ago, I
dropped my Hawk off for an alignment. I came back to pick it up and
backed out of the garage. I put it into D and the car WOULDNT budge.
I tired L and still - no go! I never used the emergency brake since
there arent any hills around here and its an automatic. I finally
noticed that the handle was pulled out, and imagine that - it moved![:I]

Once we know your trans IS toasted - we can talk about options.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

John Kirchhoff
03-16-2007, 10:29 PM
It's funny that Tom mentioned the emergency brake, I was thinking the same thing. Tom isn't the first person to try to drive off with it on....um, maybe I've done that a time or two...and yes, a Hawk will back up with it on but not go forward. I agree with Tom to make sure the rear wheels turn, just because the handle is in doesn't mean the cable couldn't be bound up. Hey, check out the easy things first!

N8N
03-17-2007, 04:33 AM
good point, the return spring under the seat is always missing, and I've had two cars have the parking brake stick on when it was released very recently. stinks, too...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight