PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Mr. Biggs

Dick Steinkamp
01-29-2006, 10:11 PM
After a GREAT day at the Turlock swap meet [:p]...

http://static.flickr.com/37/92893893_bd3090ea7b_o.jpg

...I headed for Mr. Biggs' house. Mr. Biggs was in the middle of some Studefarming ;)...

http://static.flickr.com/26/92893895_12c4bfec76_o.jpg

What he told me he was doing (and I believe it [}:)]) was that he was planting a row of Stude V8 valve covers and that he would be harvesting some full flow 289's this fall ;). Mr. Biggs was using his Champion 6 powered F**d 8N (you really didn't think he'd have an actual F**d engine in it, did you ;))

Mr. Biggs (actually his lovely wife) fed me a delicious dinner :)and put me up for the night, so I felt obligated to relive Mr. Biggs of his inventory of all those nasty old "Mckinnon" parts he had on the Studefarm [:p]...

http://static.flickr.com/11/92894123_7db00254dc_o.jpg

Mr. Biggs seemed to have a hard time actually touching the McKinnon parts :(.

I had a GREAT time at Bob's house (as usual). A perfect host. Thanks Bob for everything!

-Dick-

Swifster
01-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey Dick, I know you're flying out here for the Super Bowl and to bring me those Chrysler long ram intakes in that picture, right? And you're more than welcome to stay the night and I'll give you dinner as well.

:D:D:D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

gordr
01-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Great pictures, Dick! Thanks for sharing.
I'm really disappointed that I couldn't be there, but in this line of work the only certain thing is uncertainty.

That first picture is a statement of manifold destiny if ever I saw one.;)

Regarding the third, did you get to keep the spider that lives in the manifold?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Dick Steinkamp
01-29-2006, 10:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Hey Dick, I know you're flying out here for the Super Bowl and to bring me those Chrysler long ram intakes in that picture, right? And you're more than welcome to stay the night and I'll give you dinner as well.

:D:D:D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

Tom,

If you've got the tickets...I'll be there!!:D (go Seahawks!!)

The picture was just a smattering of a few of the parts I picked up at the swap meet :D (it's good I brought the truck)

-Dick-

Dick Steinkamp
01-29-2006, 10:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by gordr

Great pictures, Dick! Thanks for sharing.
I'm really disappointed that I couldn't be there, but in this line of work the only certain thing is uncertainty.

That first picture is a statement of manifold destiny if ever I saw one.;)

Regarding the third, did you get to keep the spider that lives in the manifold?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

We missed you, Gord. Bob wanted to keep the spyder, so I begrudgingly allowed him to do so.

-Dick-

Studedude
01-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Is that an ALTERNATOR on that tractor??? [:0]

And, is that can of Coors on the hood? [:p]
[}:)]

Dave's Place
Studebaker Emporium
www.davesplaceinc.com

Dick Steinkamp
01-29-2006, 10:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Is that an ALTERNATOR on that tractor??? [:0]

And, is that can of Coors on the hood? [:p]
[}:)]

Dave's Place
Studebaker Emporium
www.davesplaceinc.com

The high output alternator is necessary so that Mr. Biggs can really boom the base on the 700 watt stereo system he had installed on the StudeTractor.

Couldn't possibly be a beer can as only soda pop was consumed on this trip;)

-Dick-

Dwain G.
01-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Gee Bob, you look great! Healthy!

Dwain G.

Roscomacaw
01-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Dick, I think we both had fun. Too bad you live so far away - I'd put you to work on the Provincial.;)

I can't thank you ENOUGH for taking those disgusting McKinnon parts off our property. That and those Rocket valve covers.[xx(] I swear, this place feels better already!
Come back when you've run out of oranges & Pummelo.[:I]

As to the comment about the alternator on my 8N, it's true. I have an alternator off a 66 Rambler on it. Relevant to some threads on this group, in 14 years of running the 8N on 12 volts - the 6volt starter hasn't even needed brushes!;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Studedude
01-30-2006, 11:11 AM
quote: As to the comment about the alternator on my 8N, it's true. I have an alternator off a 66 Rambler on it. Relevant to some threads on this group, in 14 years of running the 8N on 12 volts - the 6volt starter hasn't even needed brushes!;)

I had to tease you about it, because I have had quite an experience of late with my 6V system. Have a guy down the road that rebuilds all things automotive electrical. Got frustrated with my 6V system, and approached him last summer about converting the tractor to 12V. "Heck, Dave," sez he, "Thar is nothin' wrong with a 6 volt system." (This is the guy that has been into my generator no less than 3 times over the last couple of years." "Yer probably burning up that generator with that 8V battery. Let's rebuild the generator (again) and put a 6V battery in thar."

"OK, I reply... you know what's best."

So, I go buy an new 6V battery, as he scrounges around his shop picking up used parts here and there to rebuild the generator. He gets every thing all hooked up, and although it cranks slower than it used to, it seems to work OK.

A few weeks later I go out to start the 9N, and no go. The battery is beyond dead, wouldn't even take a charge. I have to jump start it, and the generator puts out just enough juice to build up the battery to the point the battery charger recognizes there is a battery there, and I get it to where it will start on it's own. Use the tractor a few hours, next day, same deal.

Take it back to J.W. He tests the battery. It's not 3 months old, but it's bad. I go to Atwood's to exchange it. The clerk sez, "Duh, my tester says to charge it again, and bring it back for another test." I don't have time to fool with it, so I buy a new battery, with the understanding I can bring the old one back for re-testing later.

Take the new battery back to J.W. He hooks everything up, the generator won't gen. It is 'splained to me that, "The armatur tests good, but ain't."

"Well, Dave, ya wanna just go ahead and switch it over to 12 volt now?"

"Uh, J.W., I've got quite a bit of money invested in the 6 volt system now." (Bought all new lights, etc. when he went though the system last summer... not one, but two batteries... and, it's about the "principle" now.)

So, we order a rebuilt generator, since all of his (and my) used generator parts stash has dwindled.

She starts now, but sure does crank slow.

But, it's "original!" ;);)

Dave's Place
Studebaker Emporium
www.davesplaceinc.com

Roscomacaw
01-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Dave beams: "But, it's "original!" :D

That's foremost, Dave. Gotta keep it 100% original. Anything less would be useful but not prideful.[}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Studedude
01-30-2006, 04:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Dave beams: "But, it's "original!" :D

That's foremost, Dave. Gotta keep it 100% original. Anything less would be useful but not prideful.[}:)]
I knowed you'd agree! [:I]

Dave's Place
Studebaker Emporium
www.davesplaceinc.com