This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Brakes

Converting 64 GT to Power Brakes. Have original Studebaker Disc brakes. Getting ready to install and would like to know where the booster is placed.

The Hydrovac mounts on the driver's side inner fender inside the engine compartment. If you have the unit and mounting bracket you should be able to locate the mounting holes in the fender, it will be towards the front. You should use the short hoses to and from the unit, it is not a good idea to hard plumb the connections. The hoses are available from most of the major Stude vendors, about $25.00 I believe.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

To expand a little on what Dan said, the booster mounts right in front of the battery tray. There is also a small bracket that holds the ends of the metal lines (one to booster, the other from the booster) so that flexible lines can be connected between these and the booster. That bracket mounts almost directly under the nose of the booster.
      Tim K.
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Are you using a single reservoir or a double reservoir master cylinder?

'62 Hawk
        '30 Chev Coach
        sigpicJohn Esmonde
        Holland Landing, Ontario
        Canada
        \'62 Hawk
        \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
        \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

The Hydrovac mounts on the driver's side inner fender inside the engine compartment. If you have the unit and mounting bracket you should be able to locate the mounting holes in the fender, it will be towards the front. You should use the short hoses to and from the unit, it is not a good idea to hard plumb the connections. The hoses are available from most of the major Stude vendors, about $25.00 I believe.

Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT

Comment

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan
            Thank you very much for your reply, it was very helpful. I have a 64 GT that came with a blower and R3 box over the 4 barrel. I am having the motor bored out to 304.5 and bringing it up to R3 specs. Ibelieve that their was only 1 made but all that remains is the body. The motor was burnt out. I have the R3 emblem on the grill but can not find the R3 side badges. There was once a box of them (at least thats what jon Meyer told me). If you hear anything about the badges let me know. Your help on the brakes was very much appreciated

Jack Porter

Comment

Jack:

To my knowledge there were no R3 Hawks ever produced, although they could be ordered. There are perhaps several "clone" or aftermarket versions around that used some of the left over R3 engines, and yes there are R3 badges that pop up at swap meets from time to time. You might check with Ron Ellerbe who runs the Jet Thrust News (ellerbe@pacbell.net) to see if your car is an original R car of any type, send him your VIN number and you can also sign up with him for the newsletter he puts out.

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I just finished a R3 clone a few years back, so I can help with bringing yours up tp specs. The R3 heads are the most expensive bits, but I can help with the special valve covers and I think Dave T-Bow can build the distributor. The right side inner fender mods and cold air ducting is fairly easy if you can get the factory blue prints.

A guy in Australia had the badges on ebay last year at $500/pair. The box of them you spoke of was at Standard Surplus back in the 60's-70's.(under $5 as I recall)

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                64 GT Hawk
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                53 Street rod
                JDP Maryland

Comment

There was one R3 Hawk that was taken to Bonneville. Later it was used as a race car. Jack if you could send me a photo of the altered inner fender I would really like to see how they fit the blower in there Avanti style. I would check with Nels Bove for fender badges, if anyone would know where to get them he would.
                  Tim K.
                  Tim K.
                  \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Lionel Stone had R-3 heads cast from oems...but problems with them preclude one from just a simple r&r and run...a fellow in Virgina built up an R-3 utilizing Stones heads and had "problems" both with the heads and high output oil pump.
                    Tread softly and carry a closed wallet.

Comment

Jack:

To my knowledge there were no R3 Hawks ever produced, although they could be ordered. There are perhaps several "clone" or aftermarket versions around that used some of the left over R3 engines, and yes there are R3 badges that pop up at swap meets from time to time. You might check with Ron Ellerbe who runs the Jet Thrust News (ellerbe@pacbell.net) to see if your car is an original R car of any type, send him your VIN number and you can also sign up with him for the newsletter he puts out.

Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT

Comment

Dan:

There was one R3 Hawk made. It was raced at Bonneville in October of 1963 by Paula Murphy. The body of this hawk was last reported to be in the LA area but the engine is elsewhere. The Hawk bested the speed records for cars in its class going 154 mph. I would like to reconstruct a R3 hawk even though it would be a faux R3. Thanks for the information about Ron Ellerbe.

Jack Porter

Jack:

Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT

Comment

I do not believe that there were any regular, factory production Hawks built with an R3 engine. Many of the cars that were run at Bonneville were possible options, but not regular production cars. They were built up by Engineering and/or Granatelli. I would be interested in what the build sheet for that Hawk that you refer to shows.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                          X