PDA

View Full Version : Dana 44 axle interchange

41 Frank
01-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know if the axles from a flanged axle dana 44 will work in a tapered axle 58 commander rear end if you use backing plates etc.I know all post 53 rear ends are the same width.The flanged axle unit is out of a 66 cruiser but has the wrong ratio and is also non twin traction.The 58 unit is twin traction.

Rosstude
01-28-2006, 01:38 PM
No. The spline count is different. The 66 has 27 splines, and the 58 has 19.

Ross.
57 Provincial
58 Transtar
66 Wagonaire

41 Frank
01-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Guess I'll have to shell out for some Fairborn Studebaker axles. Just don' trust flanged axles in my 41 Champion with R-2 and high stall convertor I'm putting finishing touched on.

Frank J.van Doorn

41 Frank
01-28-2006, 01:48 PM
I meant to say tapered axles

Frank J.van Doorn

DEEPNHOCK
01-28-2006, 10:10 PM
You can't go too far wrong with Fairborne's axles...
They have Moser make them to spec for them, and they add the best bearings and retainers you can get....
Shoot, if you add rear disc's, just tell them and you will get the correct spacers for an additional $12 or so (for each side...)
You really cannot beat their price...
Believe me, I have tried...and I have bought a few Moser axles in my lifetime (and have NOT been able to break one, no matter how hard I have tried)....
Jeff (6 keys, two hubs, and three axles...don't ask..) Rice[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Guess I'll have to shell out for some Fairborn Studebaker axles. Just don' trust flanged axles in my 41 Champion with R-2 and high stall convertor I'm putting finishing touched on.

Frank J.van Doorn

41 Frank
01-29-2006, 09:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

You can't go too far wrong with Fairborne's axles...
They have Moser make them to spec for them, and they add the best bearings and retainers you can get....
Shoot, if you add rear disc's, just tell them and you will get the correct spacers for an additional $12 or so (for each side...)
You really cannot beat their price...
Believe me, I have tried...and I have bought a few Moser axles in my lifetime (and have NOT been able to break one, no matter how hard I have tried)....
Jeff (6 keys, two hubs, and three axles...don't ask..) Rice[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Frank J.van Doorn

41 Frank
01-29-2006, 10:06 AM
Jeff I will probably pick up some Fairborne axles at the South Bend swap in May as I think he will probably be there as Ted H. did. Don"t want to go where you have allready been.

Stude4x4
01-29-2006, 08:44 PM
How much are a set of flanged axles from fairborn? Is it just axles or are bearings, seals etc... inculded?

-Home of John Studebaker-
http://community.webshots.com/user/Stude4x4

Dan White
01-29-2006, 08:49 PM
The kit is $495, and includes the full boat, check it out at:

http://www.fairbornstudebaker.com/

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT