PDA

View Full Version : Replacing headlight bucket

Eman
01-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Looks like my front driver's side fender may have been hit at one time. There appears to be a little bondo-like substance up there as well as a slightly rusty, bent, and even separated headlight bucket.

I've got an extra to replace it with, but the wiring and bulb are still good. Is there a way to get everything apart and replaced without cutting any wires or breaking the bulb? What's the best way to do it?

Here are a few pics:
http://www.bulletshots.net/misc/headlamp1.jpg
http://www.bulletshots.net/misc/headlamp2.jpg

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog

Roscomacaw
01-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Eric,

I hope you won't mind that I address some of the points here that you've asked the group AND me (via E-mail)

First off, that wiring wouldn't be adjugded "good" by anyone's standards.
(Eric sent me some photos of his harness and asked if I thought it was due changing - since it looks more like a rebellious spool of electrician's tape than a wire harness, I told him he needed to give that harness priority lest he have a minor or major meltdown[xx(])
Don't mean to embarrass you, Eric, but I don't see any "good" wire in these two photos.
The small bulb comes out with a push and twist manuver. Quite often, old bulbs like this will come apart in your hands! It's not worth worrying about saving if that's the case. And if the socket's corroded, the glass part may well twist out and leave the brass base behind. Then it's time to break out the needle-nose pliers.[}:)]

If you've got some bondo holding that lite bucket to the fender, take a utility knife and cut right behind the flange of the bucket so it'll part from it's hole in the fender.

6Volt bulbs are available - so's new wiring. Solid 51 Starlight's are harder to come by. Do the right thing.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Eman
01-27-2006, 05:58 PM
No problem with that Mr. Biggs. I remember a lot of you guys saying I'd probably need to replace the wires when I first got her.

And new wiring harnesses are finally on their way (may take a few weeks). I was just wondering here if there was a way to go ahead and replace the headlamp bucket, keeping these wires intact, until the new stuff comes in. [B)]

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")
www.bulletshots.net
www.bulletshots.net/blog