PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong somewhere or just me

okie
01-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Took a drive over to Oak Hill during the last cold front. Temperature
around 36 degrees at midnight.
The Hawk ran about 140 degrees on the way over, usual for her.
On the way home she only ran around 120 degrees, made it almost home before the defroster cleaned the windscreen off. About 40 miles.
Pulled the thermostat, a 160, replaced it with a 180, now she runs at 160 degrees.
I'm running a 7 blade clutch type fan from an Olds Regency [ trimmed to just fit in the shroud ], 50-50 mix of antifreeze.
Am I pulling too much air through the radiator?
Or do the gauges and sending units go down hill after a while?
Put a thermometer in the radiator and it reads 170 degrees when the
gauge reads 160 degrees.
Why can't I have overheating problems like everyone else?
Next step cleaning all contacts.

Alan
01-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Bragging or complaining?

Roscomacaw
01-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Alan says: "Bragging or Complaining?

I second that thought!:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

StudeRich
01-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Okie; I have to agree with Mr Biggs and Alan, "if it's not broke, don't worry" concept!:) However, if you must know... there are lot's of possibilities:
1. The temp. sender is at the rear of the head on a Stude. V-8, the coolant flows bottom to top in the block, and rear to front in the heads. Therefore the hottest water is in the front returning to the radiator through the thermostat where it will be hotter than at the sender for the gauge. Ditto at the radiator, where it has not yet been cooled by flowing to the bottom. You will usually get a LOWER reading on the gauge than actual, but not a big diff.
2. You may have a inconsistent (sticking)thermal fan clutch on the car.
3. I have noticed the difference going the opposite direction on the same road, because of wind direction and amount of grade of the road affecting my engine temp. or even air temp.
4. Sometimes the wrong heat range sending unit does not give an accurate reading.
5. Yes for 36 degrees, you have way too much fan using a big shroud and large grille as well ![:0]
Well you asked! [}:)]
Rich.

quote:Originally posted by okie

Took a drive over to Oak Hill during the last cold front. Temperature
around 36 degrees at midnight.
The Hawk ran about 140 degrees on the way over, usual for her.
On the way home she only ran around 120 degrees, made it almost home before the defroster cleaned the windscreen off. About 40 miles.
Pulled the thermostat, a 160, replaced it with a 180, now she runs at 160 degrees.
I'm running a 7 blade clutch type fan from an Olds Regency [ trimmed to just fit in the shroud ], 50-50 mix of antifreeze.
Am I pulling too much air through the radiator?
Or do the gauges and sending units go down hill after a while?
Put a thermometer in the radiator and it reads 170 degrees when the
gauge reads 160 degrees.
Why can't I have overheating problems like everyone else?
Next step cleaning all contacts.

StudeRich
Ferndale, WA

raprice
01-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Sometimes the sending units go bad. Last year, according to my temp gauge, my car was on the edge of overheating. Or so I thought. Checked out the cooling system with a thermometer and found that the coolant was the proper temp. I first replaced the thermostat. On further investigation I found that the sending unit wasn't working. After replacing the sending unit, things returned to normal. My car was never on the verge of overheating.
Rog