PDA

View Full Version : Florida Relocation: Any Thoughts?

Swifster
01-26-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm heading to Florida in a couple weeks. I've a place to stay for a little while in Lakeland. Any thoughts or suggestions? I've been there 4-5 times in the past and really liked the Tampa/St. Pete area (Clearwater) and the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area.

Business in Michigan sucks and I'm damn tired of the cold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

robtc
01-26-2006, 01:44 PM
My brother lives in Lakeland and likes it quite a bit. It gets VERY humid in the summer, but the winters have to be better than Michigan.

I think he would prefer to be back in Southern California, but Florida, according to him, is better than most other alternatives.

Walt Zander
01-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Thoroughly understand your plight Tom. Leaving this Tundra here for 3 weeks in Siesta Key. After that a brief trip to Naples and will be headquartered at our daughter's in Ocala. Now Ocala is a really nice laid back town away from the tourist tangle.

'49 Starlight Coupe

RIMAN63
01-26-2006, 03:01 PM
I lived in Lansing - YUK.. I live in Jacksonville now, and love it. It doesn't get the hurricanes like Tampa does, and the weather is a bit more mild. However, Jacksonville does have it's share of "Hicks".

KevinSheen
01-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Ocala's really close to Stephen Allen's Stude shop as well. Its about the hottest part of the state in summer and the coldest in the winter. Pretty country though. I lived in St. Pete for a long while before it turned into suburban hell. The beaches are still nice if you can deal with the traffic. I also lived in Cocoa Beach (I dream of Jeannie Town) and I really like it there. It can't get any bigger than it is because its a barrier island. That means that the traffic you get at the height of tourist season is as bad as it will ever get. If you can make peace with that, its an idyllic place to live.
Swifter, I'm going to St. Pete to see the folks in about a month. Maybe we can grab a beer and swap lies. And ogle our Studebakers. Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Swifster
01-26-2006, 03:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by KevinSheen

Swifter, I'm going to St. Pete to see the folks in about a month. Maybe we can grab a beer and swap lies. And ogle our Studebakers. Kevin in the Stoogebaker

In my business, heavy traffic is goooood! [}:)]. As for ogling my Stude, it's torn apart and most likely won't make the first few trips down. It's well taken care of though. As for beverages, you're on! :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

DilloCrafter
01-26-2006, 05:08 PM
I lived in Jacksonville in the late '80s to early '90s, then in St. Augustine for a couple years. St. Augustine was MUCH more relaxed and laid back than Jacksonville. Go for it. And the gulf stream comes in close enough to shore in the St. Augustine and south area, so the water is nice and green, not brown as in Jax where the St. John's river dumps out.

Plus, the cost of living was lower in St. Augustine. In Jax, it went up even more after they secured an NFL football team.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/current_AvaCar.gif

stude freak
01-26-2006, 07:31 PM
THe bay area is a great place. I lived in St.Pete years ago. My bro n sis still live in B heasding thgat way in Bradenton. Its hot but almost a;ways a sea breeze.My new bro in law came to Ms last summer n said no way would i live here , its more humid than florida.little did he know it wasnt even that hot here heat index only 105. its usually hits 120 or more. heading down that way in march .

KevinSheen
01-26-2006, 08:02 PM
I've been to Big Daddy's museum and it is awesome! I also like the sports bar at the Ramada with the NY Yankee's theme. Kevin in the Stoogebaker.

1963 Champ

Swifster
01-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I've been warned about the pay scale. Hopefully the savings on the heat bill will slightly offset that.;)

dallastx75208
01-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Lived in Tampa for 11 years. Wish I could go back. Was nice, not too big.

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

I'm heading to Florida in a couple weeks. I've a place to stay for a little while in Lakeland. Any thoughts or suggestions? I've been there 4-5 times in the past and really liked the Tampa/St. Pete area (Clearwater) and the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area.

DEEPNHOCK
01-26-2006, 09:07 PM
What you save on the heat bill, you lose on the a/c bill....
I lived in Illinois for almost 40 years...
Florida is no cheaper than anywhere else..
But there is no state income tax (Thanks Mickey!), but it is a state packed with fee's...
The bugs are big, the birds are scrawney...
You will say it's too hot, but after a few years you will say it's just right...
Jeff

Yeah, I've been warned about the pay scale. Hopefully the savings on the heat bill will slightly offset that.;)

Swifster
01-26-2006, 09:31 PM
I can take the heat. And the humidity in Michigan during the summer can be about the same as FL. I understand the fee and sales tax issues. I been trying to do my homework before hand. I also need an insurance license within 6 months of being down there.

The bug thing doesn't make me happy, but that's what bug spray is for, right? :(.

stude53
01-27-2006, 05:11 PM
A nice place to visit, but ....

Little to love about Love Bugs. says, Kevin Pierce with the Florida Environment.

"When it comes, you won't have to look too hard to see that Love Bug season is heavy in May AND in September again. The pairs of tiny flies are showing up on windshields and grills of cars and trucks all around Florida."

"Love Bugs are small flies that are in the process of mating when they swarm over the roads. So usually there are two individuals: the large one is the female and the small one is the male. The female usually gets her way and she drags the male around with her."

For more information, visit floridaenvironment.com.

Regards,
Bob (stude53)

Swifster
01-27-2006, 05:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by stude53

A nice place to visit, but ....

Little to love about Love Bugs. says, Kevin Pierce with the Florida Environment.

"When it comes, you won't have to look too hard to see that Love Bug season is heavy in May AND in September again. The pairs of tiny flies are showing up on windshields and grills of cars and trucks all around Florida."

"Love Bugs are small flies that are in the process of mating when they swarm over the roads. So usually there are two individuals: the large one is the female and the small one is the male. The female usually gets her way and she drags the male around with her."

For more information, visit floridaenvironment.com.

Regards,
Bob (stude53)

Bob, I got to tell you,, I've got far more reservations about 'Palmetto Bugs' than 'Love Bugs'. We have fish flies here in Michigan that deploy twice a year and they smear the windshield, and along the lakes make large greasy patches when they've been run over. Cockroaches are a different story. All I can say is that I'll have the market cornered on roach spray!

stude53
01-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Hey, Swifster.

I 'm originally from Virginia, spent 40 years in the cold and snow of Pennsylvania and Ohio, and three years ago got smart and moved South, (but not to Florida) to a little country place near Newton Grove, NC, a geographical oddity that is 20 miles from anywhere ... and I love it. No love bugs, no Palmetto bugs, no blowing sand, no snow to shovel.

The first things I built when I got here was a fenced yard for my two black cocker spaniels and a garage for my pet project, a 1953 Studebaker Starliner. Then I remodeled the house, having retired a year ago.

I've promised myself that this is the year I finally finish my Stude and enjoy driving it.

Follow your own dream, and no matter where you live, you'll find friendly Studebaker family folk and fans. I did.

Regards,
Bob (stude53)

Swifster
01-28-2006, 11:14 AM
I've got friends and family scattered all across the Southeast. I have friends that live just outside Knoxville on a beautiful 10 acre parcel. I've been to Atlanta numerous times and love the area. I have an uncle in Columbia, SC and another in Lakeland. I have a cousin in the Tampa area. I like it all.

Avalanche325
01-30-2006, 06:00 PM
I grew up in Myrtle Beach, SC. I have lived in Orlando, Miami (Coral Gables), and have spent a lot of time in Jacksonville.

Here is my opinion FWFW.

Jacksonville - It can be a very nice area. It is like there are actually several Jacksonvilles. There is the city. I don't think I would actually want to live right in it, but it is nice to have a small city close by. There is the Jax beaches. Sort of underdeveloped compaired to MB. That part actually makes it nice. It is growing like everywhere else. The south end of the beaches, Pointe Vedra, would be nice if you had a spare 3-7 million to buy something. But overall it still is a small beach town area. One of the hidden jewels is the historic areas. These are over on the river side, west of the city. There are beautiful historic homes, small quaint shopping areas, restaraunts, and beautiful riverfront. South of the city, between I-95 and the beaches is new construction suburban hell.

Overall, I like Jax. The area feel is really south Georgia more than north FL.

I haven't been to Orlando for some time. But basically there is nothing there to center the place, just a small downtown and little neighborhoods everywhere. It may have changed, but I'm not running back there.

Miami has many beautiful areas. There are also some rough areas, like any city. I prefer the areas outside of the tourist Miami. South beach is fun to visit once or twice. But, areas like Key Biscayne are the nice local beaches.
Across on the other side is Naples. This is where my wife and I would go for day trips to unwind from Miami. The 5th Avenue shopping and beach area, away from the main part of town, is absolutely beautiful. If I won the lottery, I would consider it. Again, bring a few million for a bungalow.

There are also lots of really nice small places aroun all of these.

Swifster
01-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks, I was in JAX in '98 for a Lions-Jags game while visiting friends. Other than all the road construction going on at the time, I was rather impressed.

Swifster
02-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Well, I left Detroit on Monday and the windchill was in the teens. I stayed the night in Norcross, GA, and while it was a little warmer, there was still ice in the bed of my pick-up truck on Tuesday morning. I got into Lakeland at 8:00 PM, and while the locals are complaining about how cool it is, temps in the low to mid 60's is still nice to me :D.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

Avalanche325
02-08-2006, 10:48 AM
One thing impressive about the road construction is that they are actually trying to stay ahead of the growth. When I was down there years ago they were building "roads to nowhere". Now those roads are right where all of the new growth is.

Roscomacaw
02-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Been in the 60s and 70s and sunny now for a week here. Unusually warm Feb. for us. Temps should be hovering around the low to mid 50s but I ain't complainin'!:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

DEEPNHOCK
02-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Take a run up to 'The Villages' on Saturday, Feb 18th...
Our chapter will have it's monthly meeting at the car show/cruise.
Last month there were over 400 cars there. Nice resto's, and a superb atmosphere. Info on the meeting is up at www.bulletnose.org
Love to see you (and others) there!
Jeff[8D]

Swifster
02-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Jeff, I'd love to go and I'll try to make it, but I'm probably going to be apartment/house hunting. If I don't make that show, it'll be another. I promise.

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Studedude
02-10-2006, 10:30 PM

Jeff, I'd love to go and I'll try to make it, but I'm probably going to be apartment/house hunting. If I don't make that show, it'll be another. I promise.

Ya gotta get over there and visit Jeff, Tom. He has a lot of fun, and it's fun to watch him bleed. [}:)]

Dave's Place
Studebaker Emporium
www.davesplaceinc.com

Swifster
02-10-2006, 10:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Studedude

Ya gotta get over there and visit Jeff, Tom. He has a lot of fun, and it's fun to watch him bleed. [}:)]

Now that would be fun. I'm usually the one who bleeds...[B)]

Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona